2003 Outlander OEM stereo - 3.5mm AUX modification

Participant count
  • Participant list

aamccarty

Hi all, I've searched the forum some but have been unable to find what I'm looking for (especially in the level of detail that I'm now at. I'm trying to add a male auxiliary 3.5mm cable to my OEM infinity audio head.

My setup is:

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander

Infinity Audio Stereo head P004 (MITSUBISHI P004 MR587387)

No 6 disc changer.

This is the link to a tutorial that is close to what I hoped to do. However, they have a 6 disc changer in addition to my exact set-up. So they just had to splice in the left and right and ground into the 13 pin line.

Additionally, I found a guy with a similar issue of no 6 disc changer (but a different head) here. He used another method to attach an audio cable directly to the 13 pin connector. (Although his head is different it has the same pin layout as mine according to this web site. I.E. you can search my model and his model and they're both listed has having this pinout.)

However I've soldered my paper clips to the ends of my audio cable and plugged them in in the same was as he did here.

I checked the resistance on the paper clips to the actual 3.5mm piece and it seems to be correct as far as my multimeter can read.

After plugging these into the correct holes like it shows here, I'm still unable to get my stereo into Auxiliary mode by holding down the CD button according to the tutorials I've read for my Infinity Audio Stereo head P004 (MITSUBISHI P004 MR587387).

I wonder if I might need to route a resistor into two holes similar to this setup with a kenwood head but I can't figure out which holes or if that's necessary. [i've since tried this, I tried it with a 1/2 watt 10k Ohm resistor from holes 6 (ACC) to 12 (BSRQ) and 6 (ACC) to 10 (BSXEN) since that is from the 12 volt power to the pins that seem like "request" or "enable." The only result I got here was when going from 6 to 12 I was able to power on the stereo head without the key on in the ignition (no power to the speakers though so no sound.) This isn't my intended result so I must have something confused.]

As far as I can tell, this is their kenwood pinout, and again, this is my pinout. Can you help me determine if I need a resistor and if so which holes I should place it in?

I know this is a lot of detail but I'm just trying to help you with the work I've done so far.

If you can help me, I'd be SO grateful. If I'm in completely the wrong direction, just let me know. I am an amateur at car audio.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.