2003 Monte Carlo wiring <--need help

luke2seagull
10+ year member

ohio
I have a 2003 Monte Carlo, and GM vehicles are messed up compared to other auto makers. Apparently, the stereo is used to control the little chime when you door is open, alarm, the little "Message Screen", etc. Heres my problem. I bought an Alpine Head unit and want to install it but I needed some extra stuff to keep the chime and other stuff. So I bought some cheap Scosche wiring harness that "maintains chime and provides +12v switched power". Well that harness made my car chime sound like it was retarded (multiple tones in one sequence). So I did some research and decided to get the GWH-22 retention/relocation harness that would allow me to install my Alpine head unit and then put my factory stereo in my trunk in order to retain the chime and alarm system. Well, I bought the new harness but it doesn't have a switched/ignition 12v+ to power the alpine unit, as it states on american internationals website " need to locate 12v+ ign/switched power". My problem is, how do I do that? Can I tap in directly into a cigarette lighter 12v and use that, or can I rewire a new red 12v into my fuse box and do I need a relay to do so? I want simplest and most efficient without starting a fire or blowing something up? Any suggestions, Thanks, Luke.

alright, cool, thanks man...Would you know the easiest way to access the harness? I have to take the dash off to install the unit in the first place, so I'm sure it can't be too difficult.

the harness should be behind or real close to where you insert the key. not too familiar with the monte carlo, but if the ignition is on the steering wheel column u may have to take off the bottom cover of the column to access it. i wanna say it'll be an orange wire. make sure u test with a dmm.

Ahh.. I miss my monte carlo ss.. that ***** was hooked up!! **** I wanna kill

myself everytime i think about bc i didnt even need to sell.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

My H/U only shuts off if the door is opened. If it wasn't for starting a new car note, I would get the new SS, 300+ hp for just @ 20K. But the reality kicks in and says it's a Monte Carlo, overweight sexy beast.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.