2003 Impala Upgrade Help - Factory Amp Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

ImpalaBlues

KCMO
Looking to replace my factory headunit in my 2003 Impala LS (cd and tape quit working). Long story short, I'm looking at a JVC unit, and Crutchfield has 50% off JVC speakers so I'm looking at 6x9's for the rear, and 6.5 components for the front. Here's where I run into trouble (my questions).

I like the way my factory stereo sounds. Good enough bass, decent everything else. I'm worried that "upgrading" my speakers will kill all of that. I THOUGHT I could wire the new speakers up the same way as the factory speakers (the fronts are components ran by the amp and have separate hi/lo wiring). But what I read says to bypass the factory amp and just use the headunit's power. The problem is, I did that in my truck and it totally killed my bass (to the point where I bought two 10's). The Impala just isn't worthy of that much money.

So... can I run this stuff off the factory amp or should I bypass and pray it works? Or skip the speakers altogether...

Looking to replace my factory headunit in my 2003 Impala LS (cd and tape quit working). Long story short, I'm looking at a JVC unit, and Crutchfield has 50% off JVC speakers so I'm looking at 6x9's for the rear, and 6.5 components for the front. Here's where I run into trouble (my questions).
I like the way my factory stereo sounds. Good enough bass, decent everything else. I'm worried that "upgrading" my speakers will kill all of that. I THOUGHT I could wire the new speakers up the same way as the factory speakers (the fronts are components ran by the amp and have separate hi/lo wiring). But what I read says to bypass the factory amp and just use the headunit's power. The problem is, I did that in my truck and it totally killed my bass (to the point where I bought two 10's). The Impala just isn't worthy of that much money.

So... can I run this stuff off the factory amp or should I bypass and pray it works? Or skip the speakers altogether...
1st stop looking at jvc.. i run my speakers off my kenwood and it's fine but i have sub for bass.. factory speakers are full range after market not the same, normally don't get as good midbass outta them.. get kenwood 301 hu like mine about $119 (it's has tons of audio settings like u wouldn't believe) bt usball that and 22x4rms also has 3 4v preamps out puts so later u can get small mono amp and and small sub to make up for bass u loose and your speakers won't distort because the 301hu has highpass xover for them..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.