2003 Golf GTI

budahbuddy803
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Aiken, SC
I am looking into a 2003 VW Golf GTI. Its got ~70k miles on it. It was in a minor accident where someone ran into the back of him. That was the first thing the guy told me and he said there is a carfax report on the incident. He is asking $7200....i am thinking ill work him down a little on that considering the accident.

He said that the front left tire gets a work out because the amount of torque. I dont think that makes any sense to me unless he is burning out. Anyone here of that issue with the gti's?

Are the turbo's pretty reliable in these?

Anything I should know from an experienced owner?

I am trying to keep this car for a good 5 years before I get something new and I dont want to keep dumping money into tires or anything else really. I will take it to a mechanic before I buy, just looking for some issues i may run into. Thanks!

The rear end damage was fixed. (New rear bumper) I am just wondering if maybe that tire is wearing down because of misalignment rather than that "torque." Ill let my mechanic let me know what he thinks. I really like these cars. I think my IDmax IB like someone on here has done would be "easy" and awesome. Ill just install my current gear, deaden as much as i can afford, and 20% tint all the way around. If this particular ride is in good shape of course.

I know there are GTI owners on here. Maybe a good place to find reviews and problems with cars so i could read would be helpful. I am not coming up with very good reviews.

guy said he took it to the strip a few times and ran it.... how bad is that on a vehicle? I know its not good, but since he doesnt do it anymore and Ill drive it like a granny, what kind of damage does that do?

sell you my saturn for a grand less more fun the a gti! 6400 with brand new tires!!
Really? I am semi-interested. I have not heard too many good things about saturn, nor bad thing though....

This particular GTI is de-badged, 327hp on the dyno he claims under 13seconds on the 1/4mile (i think is what he said), and pretty much immaculate interior and exterior. I just dont want to buy something so sweet and have the engine drop out of it because he ran it too hard.

Is that stick or auto. Either way. Taking it to the track all the time is not really good for both. Even more. I bet he is a Green like gas pedel to the floor kindof person. And For all my years as a mechanic. Never heard tires going bald from big bad torque.Sure he has somthin messed up with the alingment. Is it lowered or have any other time of supsension other then stock. For an 03 asking 7000 seems a tab bit high to me.

Only thing I can think about VW's is they have bad eletrical systems. And crap ignition systems. Do get that engine bay wet at all.

Are you sure his left front tire doesnt have camber bad wear? Seems to me the only real reason one tire would lose tread faster than another.. Or He doesn't keep the PSI up on his tires...

That tire wear isn't from torque. I think that car has a horizontal motor so the force is thrown forward and not to the side. My car is front to back and the same motor with mods and I have no problems. I may be mistaken but its easy to see if the motor goes in front to back or side to side. As for the 300+ hp. Absolute ******** unless the motor is built to the teeth with a GT 30 and forged internals. That car is closer to 185 stock at the crank let alone at the wheels. I would stay away. If you want a GTI find a good one they made tons of them. They are good cars but if its a 1.8t you are going to need a timing belt around now if it hasn't been done. I think VW warrants it replaced at 90k but they are know to snap at 60k. I just did the third on my 1.8t Audi A4. The first one snapped, The second one the water pump failed and I hope the third takes me thought my time with this car. They are sweet Id say just find a better one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.