2003 Ford Explorer Setup Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list
Got it today, Miriam does GREAT WORK! This does NOT look like a refurbished Subwoofer. It looks like it is brand new. Now I just have to go out and install it.

Last edited:
Wow what a difference in performance and sound! Well worth the 145 dollars I spent on it.

Now to just get some help on the front/rear speakers and what to do with those. Open to suggestions on what to look at.

Invest in sound deadening and something like fast rings to seal off the door panels to the speakers. Find out how much depth you have so you'll know what will fit and won't fit. Go to parts express and find some mids same thing with the tweeters. 

If you can't make  baffles you'll have to buy some adaptors. I would think Metra would have some.. might get you a little more depth too. Would also think you could get 6.5s in there pretty easily. Idk you'd have to look into but I would think it would be worthwhile to get away from 6x8..

I have 36 square feet of killmat sitting here and have the stuff to make the foam baffles as well, along with adding the foam tape to the back of speakers. 6.5's will work just fine as the Rockford Fosgate P1683 have some depth plus I can always pick up a spacer to bring the speaker out some as I have 2-3 inches iirc from the speaker to the door panel. Was going to just go with a component set but just can't find anything that has a decent sound and reviews to back it up.

I have 36 square feet of killmat sitting here and have the stuff to make the foam baffles as well, along with adding the foam tape to the back of speakers. 6.5's will work just fine as the Rockford Fosgate P1683 have some depth plus I can always pick up a spacer to bring the speaker out some as I have 2-3 inches iirc from the speaker to the door panel. Was going to just go with a component set but just can't find anything that has a decent sound and reviews to back it up.
Then make your own components. You wouldn't be the first.

Yep thought about that as well. Give me some ideas then for 6.5 with a tweeter and crossover unless it is built in of course.

I do appreciate all the help and ideas I have seen on here. Reading the one thread on sound deadening gave me some ideas and how to do it properly. Will just have to wait though until after my lower back surgery on the 25th which will make #95,lol. So I have some time before I have to do the install as after that at the beginning of June is Rt knee surgery again. So thinking maybe July before I am able to do all 4 doors.

If you can fit it Dayton RS 180-4 would be nice. There's a 6" version too. Just personal preference. If you don't find anything that you like there check out madisound.  Just look at the frequency response graphs and that will give you an idea of where the driver needs to be crossed over at.  That 180 for example I wouldn't want to go much over 2k 2.5k. With that driver I'd look for a tweeters with a fs of 1k or less. if you're getting a new head unit get something you can be active with...

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend of mine has 2 sets of these in his 2001 Ford Explorer on the same MTX 704X 4 channel amp I have with a small amount kill mat sound deadening w/ no foam and what a difference between his and mine with these Focals. Granted they are the lower end but they sound great in his. Seriously thinking of going with a set of these front/rear like his.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FOCAL-RIP-165S3-Auditor-Series-6-5-3-Way-250W-peak-Component-Speakers-Kit/283310319603?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I think it is going to be 2 sets of these, along with a Pioneer DEH-80PRS to replace a Kenwood KDC-X998 and then later in the year a Taramps DS800x4 and a Big 3 upgrade w/ Alternator.

Now I just have to find someone who has that Big 3 upgrade on a 2002-2010 Explorer and the Alternator along with which ones are the right ones for the 4.0!

Kind of a waste of money if you're getting a prs 80 paying for a crossover you don't need. Would sound better where you sit if you use that hu active and not worry about the rear imo. Personally I'd want something better than my friends. Idk doesn't make a lot of sense to me to use a passive componentswith that hu

Eh not concerned with being better then anyone, just want it to sound good. I am down to the Hertz DSK 165.3 or the 2 way Focal Auditors which are around the same price. Yeah I know the Pioneer does that but I need an upgrade over the Kenwood KDC-X998 I am using now which works fine but I want something else as I have issues with picking up radio stations here and yet that friend of mine has that Pioneer and has no issues. That has happened before, I've used Kenwood, Sony and Pioneer here in my area and it always seems like the Pioneer ends up picking up the stations better idk why but it does.

I do appreciate all the advice from everyone. Plus on the good side I can wait a couple months till I am healed from the lower back surgery and rt knee surgery before switching them out so who knows maybe something better will come along.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.