2003 Ford Explorer Setup Questions

Participant count
  • Participants list

Firewalker

CarAudio.com VIP
nowhere
Just a quick background, I am 42 years old that is Disabled for life & I have to drive 50 miles one way 3-4 times a month for my doctor's appointments so listening to music there and back is a priority to me. I am not wanting heavy bass but some would be nice with a nice clear setup. I am mainly looking for advice on how to properly setup my current setup, however I am going to be replacing the head unit as I describe in a couple months and I am open to replacing the subwoofer I currently have.

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT that I am currently setting up the car audio system on. My Head Unit is a Kenwood KDC-X998 but I am looking to upgrade that to a Pioneer DEH-80PRS in the next couple of months hopefully

Right now I have 6x8 Rockford Fosgate P1683 in the Front & Rear Doors with No Bass Blockers on them. I have a set of 200hz Bass Blockers sitting here I was going to put on both sets of speakers when I go to install some Kill-mat later on next week to help cut down on some of the road noise I am experiencing from the crappy roads of Wisconsin. With the current head unit I have or the Pioneer when I get it, is it really worth installing those bass blockers if I can setup the head unit correctly for those networks as Pioneer describes it?

Also currently I have a 10" Rockford Fosgate P3D210 installed in a box that was made for these 2003 Ford Explorer's. It has .65 Cubic Space available and right now it just doesn't sound right no matter what I do with settings. Link for the box I bought is below all of this. I bought it because it fits in perfectly into the side of the storage area and does not take away any usable space that I need for grocery shopping and what not. I have been looking at a few different subs to replace this but haven't come up with a solid choice yet.

For amplifiers I am using a MTX 704X pushing the front & rear door speakers and for the subwoofer I am using a PPI 1000.1 Phantom that I had sitting here NIB until I installed it last year.

For the sub does anyone have any suggestions on what would work decent with that box that is linked below? Also I am open to changing out the 6x8's but that would have to wait till much later in the year as being disabled I live on a very fixed income unfortunately.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

Edit: Also for music I listen to Classic Rock, Heavy Metal and some Old School Rap.

http://subthump.com/Ford-Custom-Sub...rd-Explorer-Side-Cargo-Stealth-Enclosure.html

Last edited:
I am using a PPI 1000.1 Phantom that I had sitting here NIB until I installed it last year.

For the sub does anyone have any suggestions on what would work decent with that box that is linked below?
One of these?

https://stereointegrity.com/product/bm-mk-v-12-subwoofer/

The baffle on that enclosure looks big enough to fit a 12 offhand, I don't know if the magnet size/depth will work but you'll most likely see an improvement over a P3-10 in a small sealed.

Yeah unfortunately the magnet on the P3 barely fits as I had to take the rubber off of it in order for it to be mounted in and sealed. I am going to have to stick with a 10" it looks like which I am perfectly happy with at this stage of my life. 16-25 year old me would not,lol but how times change as you get older!

I've been looking at these below...I probably won't buy from them unless the price is the best of course. Seen better prices on amazon and eBay but they will match amazon thank god.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_76870_Cerwin-Vega-VPRO102D.html

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_94251_Cerwin-Vega-V102DV2.html

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_151685_Diamond-Audio-DE102.html

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46591_NVX-VCW102.html

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_105455_NVX-VSW102v2-VSW102-v2.html

I'm open to any brand just about but I have to keep the $$$ around 100-150 or so. I can wait till something goes on sale as well once I find the one that will work the best with what I am wanting to do. The 6x8s from Rockford sound good but I know there is more clarity in them I just have to figure it out is all with help from you guys.

Well I am kinda stuck with that small box due to needing that cargo area open for shopping and hauling. Would going to a shallow sub work better for that box?

If I was stuck with that box  I'd look into a Dayton ho myself.. maybe even an ultimax but guessing the box might be a little small for the ultimax but there's good info on parts express web site on suggested air space..

Thanks everyone! So far it looks like the Dayton Ultimax "might" work as the mounting depth is only 5.7 inches and the Rockford I have now is 6.2 or so. That half inch might make it workable. I am also going to look at the Sundown Audio as well I just haven't had the chance yet. I used a set of those on a friends build a few years ago and it sounded great.

I appreciate the help and ideas as I am just not big into this stuff like I used to be as a kid so I have kinda gotten away from it and sadly forgotten a lot of what I learned as a kid. Kinda happens when you have 94 surgeries before 42 years old,lol.

Do you have a link for their rebuilt/refurbished subs Jski1990? Thanks NVM Found it on a classified forum, selling them for 145 on a refurbished. Thanks again1

Last edited by a moderator:
Also looks like SD4 series prototypes are in the owners hands as well. Might be worthwhile to wait a bit and see if they drop..hmmmm

Yep it is a toss up between that Dayton Audio Ultimax and the SundownAudio SD3. Specs are exactly what I was looking for the box I have to deal with.

Going to go with the Sundown SD-3 10" Dual 2 ohm. They are selling some that are refurbished for 145 with shipping that works perfectly. Going to take a week to build it roughly but I have time and not in any hurry. Thank you again to those who replied and gave suggestions.

Unfortunately though I think I have a blown front right speaker of the front Rockford Fosgate 6x8s :(. Won't know till I take it apart next week after my killmat arrives. Hopefully it is just a bad connection if not I will have to start looking into 6x8/5x7s after my back surgery next month.

Yep the right Rockford Fosgate P1683 is blown. So I am going to start looking at replacement speakers next week. I am just unsure if I should go to components or not. I have a set of Kicker manufactured refurbished 2007 DS650.2 or also known as '11 65.2. that I paid something like 35 dollars for them a few years ago when I bought them for my cousins car and never used them. Would that be a decent upgrade or just more junk as I am thinking? Open to anything that will work in that 6x8 spot with a budget of 75-150 roughly.

Thank you again to those who have helped as I have already placed my order last week for the Sundown now I just have to wait till Monday to do some work on the doors.

Also does anyone have a link for a bigger alternator for this 2003 ford explorer with a 4.0? I would greatly appreciate it as I will do the big 3 wire upgrade as well when I do.

Yep the right Rockford Fosgate P1683 is blown. So I am going to start looking at replacement speakers next week. I am just unsure if I should go to components or not. I have a set of Kicker manufactured refurbished 2007 DS650.2 or also known as '11 65.2. that I paid something like 35 dollars for them a few years ago when I bought them for my cousins car and never used them. Would that be a decent upgrade or just more junk as I am thinking? Open to anything that will work in that 6x8 spot with a budget of 75-150 roughly.

Thank you again to those who have helped as I have already placed my order last week for the Sundown now I just have to wait till Monday to do some work on the doors.

Also does anyone have a link for a bigger alternator for this 2003 ford explorer with a 4.0? I would greatly appreciate it as I will do the big 3 wire upgrade as well when I do.
The DS's from what i understand are barely a stock replacement.

The DS's from what i understand are barely a stock replacement.
That is what I though then when I bought them and now. It was a cheap replacement for my cousin but the car she was putting them in got totaled so they sat here. At this point I am open to anything that will work with the MTX 704X the spec sheet from MTX put it at 880 watts iirc. It is from 2007 but still works damn good, but open to changing that down the road also if I have to increase the wattage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.