2002 Wrx?

NJack2AF
10+ year member

Best Member Ever
Las Vegas
My lincoln is done for. Dropped a valve yesterday and with all the things that go wrong with it I am done fixing it. I'm looking to get something newer that has some decent balls, gets decent gas mileage, and is reliable.

I have been leaning towards a 02 WRX, I am looking to spend in the realm of 10k (note that my dad is a used car wholesaler so I can get cars pretty cheap, I just go to the auctions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I can probably pick an 02 wrx with low miles in very nice condition for 12 or so... I really don't want to go much higher than that.

So any of you that have experience with these cars LMK what you think, also if you have any other suggestions that meet my criteria feel free to mention them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i like wrx's minus the trans... major pos, thats the biggest thing they're known for in the aftermarket world. i've heard many an occasion of second gear getting teeth stripped off of it on a hard shift, and just popping trannies all day at the track even some first timers.

i do like the car though, i would just either not slam it much, or build up the trans right away.

i like wrx's minus the trans... major pos, thats the biggest thing they're known for in the aftermarket world. i've heard many an occasion of second gear getting teeth stripped off of it on a hard shift, and just popping trannies all day at the track even some first timers.
i do like the car though, i would just either not slam it much, or build up the trans right away.
Yeah I have heard that too... it's one of the main concerns that I have... The 04 and up STI's have a **** near indestructible tranny I hear though... Can't afford one of those though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I have been leaning towards a 02 WRX, I am looking to spend in the realm of 10k (note that my dad is a used car wholesaler so I can get cars pretty cheap, I just go to the auctions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I can probably pick an 02 wrx with low miles in very nice condition for 12 or so... I really don't want to go much higher than that.
Used car wholesaler FTW. My dad's a dealer too so I get to go with him to auctions and stuff. It's pretty amazing how many cars can be sold in just a few hours.

My cousin has a WRX and as far as I know she hasn't had any problems out of it. I've heard bad things about the transmissions though. I've heard of people that seriously mod them swapping in a STi tranny but I'd bet that'd get expensive.

Used car wholesaler FTW. My dad's a dealer too so I get to go with him to auctions and stuff. It's pretty amazing how many cars can be sold in just a few hours.
My cousin has a WRX and as far as I know she hasn't had any problems out of it. I've heard bad things about the transmissions though. I've heard of people that seriously mod them swapping in a STi tranny but I'd bet that'd get expensive.
Yeah it really is amazing, I have driven cars to and from auctions for him for a few years now and it is crazy how cars go through the lanes in like 30 seconds to a minute, especially with like 10 lanes going at once! It really is cool that I can get cars that cheap tho too!

Yeah the whole tranny thing is scaring me... and I'm sure swapping an sti tranny would take care of it but my god that must be expensive...

BTW I am hammered and I just ran 2 miles home after some girl's dad walked in on us.....

I have a 02 Bugeye, and for the money it is the one of the most fun cars to dirve on the road. Put about 3k in parts. VF34 turbo, larger Top mount IC, Pink injetors, and ECU falsh, you will have as much power as a stock STI. I know I have Seen them dynoed. My car with a TBE and Utec computer puts down 210 WHP on a Mustang AWD Dyno, that that is no glory dyno. If you dont go crazy on the shifting then the trany will be fine, mine has 60k hard miles on it and it is still tip top.

I was thinking about getting an 02 WRX before getting my 02 Maxima. The WRX has good potential but the only things i didnt like is that it dont have no luxury features. No Sunroof, Leather, ect. I wanted leather and Sunroof on my next car so that why i went with my Maxima, it has 255HP in it though. I got my Automatic cause i got tired of shifting gears but they make them 6 speed aswell. Subaru claims 225HP or so on the 02 WRX but it has that AWD aswell that helps alot

227 hp at the Flywheel, alot less at the wheels, My car has about 280 at the flywheel. We dynoed a Brand new STI, 300hp at the flywheel, and 220 at the wheels on a AWD Mustang dyno. But yeah I agree, the WRX is fun to drive, but not to take on trips. But there is something about hearing that SPOOL that makes me smile everytime my gauge hits 17 PSI, followed my a WOOSH when changing gears.

I had one of the first 02's in South Florida and for the first 4 months I was in heaven. At just about 6K miles the clutch went out. Subaru of America would not warrenty it b/c i had an intake. I replace the clutch with my own cash. A week later the whole rear diff. broke and was dragging along I-95. Needless to say I traded the car in asap. The newer WRX's are much better. Its just the 2002 are kinda like the experments. They have the most problems.

If you want to know the truth, stock for stock, ZERO mods on each car... a F*CKIN ALTIMA V6 5SPD will beat it. WRX's choke, they have no top end in stock form. Sure, if you want to abuse the hell out of the clutch and tranny you can try to get an incredible launch, but other than that, your trap speed in the 1/4 mile will **** balls. Think Low-90s... that's ricer honduh territory... Whereas the Altimo will be consistently doing mid to low 14's with high 90MPH traps (think 97~99mph). OWNED, sorry

Now if you want to talk about mods, that's a whole different story. And the VQ35DE is no slouch... think 240~250WHP N/A with basic bolt ons... that's already higher than what EVOS and STis put out. Okay I'm done, bye! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.