2 way active balance problem

jellyfish420
10+ year member

i design boxes .......
STL ill side
i've been trying to get my soundstage centered, i think i got all the xovers where i want them, but the stage is always to far to the left. so i faded it to the right some...but it would never sound just right. well my right tweet started acting up today, and i think i'm gonna have to send it back, so i unhooked it. but i noticed that the the left 6 1/2 is louder than the right...but the right tweet is louder than the left. is there any way to balance the two out...being on i want to fade each speaker a diff way???

time alignment?

could it be the recording?

you passenger side tweets may have a more on axis biased position vs the more direct off axis promity to your drivers side tweet...

So it may not be anything wrong wth the speakers themselves..

i've played w/ the time alignment. that will change the 'distance' of the speaker, ergo move the soundstage around...but it doesn't change the volume.

i've got these mounted in custom glass doors, and they are on the same axis. i made **** sure everything was on the same axis between the two sides when building.

i've been trying to get my soundstage centered, i think i got all the xovers where i want them, but the stage is always to far to the left. so i faded it to the right some...but it would never sound just right. well my right tweet started acting up today, and i think i'm gonna have to send it back, so i unhooked it. but i noticed that the the left 6 1/2 is louder than the right...but the right tweet is louder than the left. is there any way to balance the two out...being on i want to fade each speaker a diff way???
Play with the polarity on the speakers. First unhook the tweets and listen to the midranges. Reverse the left side. If the stage is more centered, leave it that way, if not change it back. Do the same thing with the right side then unhook the midranges and do the tweets the same way. When you get done, wire midrange and tweet back up and listen to them. Reverse BOTH tweets and if it sounds better, leave it, if not, change it back and do the same with the midrange. I know it sounds like alot of work but it does make alot of difference and can all be done at the crossover. Of course to really get the correct soundstage you are probably going to need some eq capabilities. Time alignment does work pretty good but I've noticed it narrows the soundstage. I used time alignment for a long time but after doing what I stated above, it is a night and day difference.

BTW, you probably have your speakers miswired. Assuming that you balanced to the right side, the right side speakers should be louder, meaning you probably have your mids left/right backwards.

Play with the polarity on the speakers. First unhook the tweets and listen to the midranges. Reverse the left side. If the stage is more centered, leave it that way, if not change it back. Do the same thing with the right side then unhook the midranges and do the tweets the same way. When you get done, wire midrange and tweet back up and listen to them. Reverse BOTH tweets and if it sounds better, leave it, if not, change it back and do the same with the midrange. I know it sounds like alot of work but it does make alot of difference and can all be done at the crossover. Of course to really get the correct soundstage you are probably going to need some eq capabilities. Time alignment does work pretty good but I've noticed it narrows the soundstage. I used time alignment for a long time but after doing what I stated above, it is a night and day difference.
i've already did this. i think you posted this process in my other thread a while back. i've got everything the way it sound 'the best' but i'm being picky...and i have the right to. i have to do it at the amp. everything is crossed over in the hu. i'm using the 860mp, pretty nice deck;) it also has a 13 band eq, i think what i need is and eq that i can eq each channel sepratly.

but when i did everything you said, i ended up reversing one of the tweet, and having the mids 180 out. and it was a night and day difference.

i've already did this. i think you posted this process in my other thread a while back. i've got everything the way it sound 'the best' but i'm being picky...and i have the right to. i have to do it at the amp. everything is crossed over in the hu. i'm using the 860mp, pretty nice deck;) it also has a 13 band eq, i think what i need is and eq that i can eq each channel sepratly.but when i did everything you said, i ended up reversing one of the tweet, and having the mids 180 out. and it was a night and day difference.
Yeah, you are going to need an eq with left and right seperation. I've got an Audiocontrol DQS that I need to get rid of //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif After playing with the polarity time correction may or may not help you.

i need something like this... http://cgi.ebay.com/Phoenix-Gold-Eq215i-Equalizer-Mint_W0QQitemZ230167479089QQihZ013QQcategoryZ14931QQcmdZViewItem

i may end up getting that one.

i had a friend this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Phoenix-Gold-32-Band-1-3-Octave-Equalizer-EQ-232-Black_W0QQitemZ260156557846QQihZ016QQcategoryZ79841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and it was titts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif i may ujust save some money //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Wait and get the JBL MS-8 when it comes out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif All you need then is a center channel and you are set! Great imaging from both seats. I'm thinking about getting one when they come out.

Well, since one speaker is probably half the distance from your ear than the other, it's a good bet you're experiencing about a 3 db gain from your left midbass. For the tweeter it's very likely an axis problem. If the right tweeter is a bit more on-axis to your right ear than your left tweeter is then you'll experience some audible gain in the upper frequency registers of the tweeter (somewhere between 15-20k). That little bit can have a noticeable difference in how you perceive the tweeters response overall.

Here's a cheapo suggestion you can try. Get a couple of adjustable L-Pads from Parts Express. One for your midbass and one for your tweeter.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-265

That will allow you to attenuate the midbass on the left hand side a bit.

You can try a lower RMS rated L-Pad for your tweeter, but the problem isn't the same for the tweeter. It may help though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.