2 subs vs. 1 sub on a jl1000/1v2

Paulspikey
10+ year member

Ghetto Genius
Question is will I gain anything? Right now I have 1 10" type r in an appropriate box. If I were to have 2 in an appropriate box would it be louder? Keep in mind that my amp will only put out 1000 watts at 2 or 4 ohm impedence. So basically I am doubling my cone area, but halving my power. Which would be louder? or sound better?

Or a 1 ohm load. Lol! I don't know... Does that little type R take that? I've seen em' take a lot but that is really punishing it! I'd just get another D4 if I was you. You'll have that much more cone area and you'll still be giving both of them plenty.

So 2 would be better than 1 even though its the power is not increasing? So basically 2 subs getting 500 watts each is better than 1 sub getting 1000 watts? I started with a smaller amp, but I got a good deal on here for the JL amp so I dont want to waste any of its potential.

Its a 1043d. Its 600 rms, but it sounds **** good with the 1000 watts, its in a 1.7^3 tuned to 30hz. Im taking it easy on the gain, But Im really impressed with the sound of the type r. Thats why Im hoping somebody smart will tell me to buy another and it will slam lol. If I bought another I would get a box around 3 cubes and tune it around 33 or 34.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be louder. In theory 2x the cone area gives a 3db gain. But in this case I'd say it will be more. You can turn the gain up a bit more, plus with less compression (thermal and mechanical)the subs will be a bit more efficient.

You will be louder. In theory 2x the cone area gives a 3db gain. But in this case I'd say it will be more. You can turn the gain up a bit more, plus with less compression (thermal and mechanical)the subs will be a bit more efficient.
This was the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks alot.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.