2 SA-8's vs Single 12" type R

it reading that high has me believe one coil is shot whether it be the tinsels are snapped on one side or something
both coils read right around 4 ohms when I check them individually....gonna pull it apart tomorrow and see wtf is going on....well hopefully see whats going on lol

Don't use the terminal, drill a hole and silicone wire through
Not enough speaker wire and im broke atm....Not really wanting to buy a whole spool either. Only place that sold it by the foot was circuit city and they closed years ago.

How do you not have enough speaker wire? o.0

Drill a hole for the wire from the subs to go through the box, and splice it with the wire going from the amp to the terminal. If you want I can mail you a couple feet of speaker wire haha. It's like $4 for a spool at Radioshack.

If you've checked both coils and they read 4ohms, but you're getting 4ohms when wiring them together, then you have a wiring issue.
That is exactly what its showing. 3.8ohms per coil roughly.....and when wired to 2 it still shows around 3.8. Gonna pull it out of the box today and figure stuff out.

Ok, sub was wired at 2 ohms....my dmm had low batteries so that fixed the issue. Amp gain set to 49v which is correct for its full output. The alpine is handling it without an issue and actually isnt as loud. Maybe due to no bass boost. Its doing surprisingly well with the power handling in a box thats definitely too small for it. The decrease in output must be from the bass boost all the way down.

Well too small of a box would only suppress output, and in a way, increase power-handling. You'd get some major benefits from getting either a proper ported box for that... or even more for getting the SA-8s and getting a proper ported box for those.

Well too small of a box would only suppress output, and in a way, increase power-handling. You'd get some major benefits from getting either a proper ported box for that... or even more for getting the SA-8s and getting a proper ported box for those.
alpine is a temp. I have Moble Enclosurs building my box for my SA-8's and should be done this week hopefully //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

should be much better then.

alpine is a temp. I have Moble Enclosurs building my box for my SA-8's and should be done this week hopefully //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
should be much better then.
Oh ok! Glad to hear, I thought you were trying to make excuses and changes to not have to upgrade.

Well I can't wait to hear aobut the new set-up. Do you have any pics of the design or info on it you can release? Like, gross volume? dimensions? I'm thinking about a pair of SA-8s as well.

Oh ok! Glad to hear, I thought you were trying to make excuses and changes to not have to upgrade. Well I can't wait to hear aobut the new set-up. Do you have any pics of the design or info on it you can release? Like, gross volume? dimensions? I'm thinking about a pair of SA-8s as well.
lol nope, cant wait for the new setup.

The box is 1.12 cubic ft total for 2 drivers after displacement. Its tuned to 35Hz and heres a pic of what its going to look like and the response.

a1k8kp.png

10er8f8.png

Lesson 1. Set the gain with a dmm, it is not a volume knob.
Lesson 2. Never use bass boost unless you want blown equipment.

You've been on here for 10 years, you shouldnt have to ask these kinds of questions or should know to give more information when asking these kinds of questions.

Is this some weak troll attempt?
I don't get the dmm method.

Subs are not a stable impedance. Calibrating to 4 /2/1 ohms means nothing because your subs will be all over the place when playing music.

If you setting a full range amp and a sub amp the levels can be way out of wack and sound like crap.

A dmm wont show clipping ,you need a oscope

Clipping is audible. Use your ears. If its to loud use an oscope.Turn the source to max,crank gain till it clips,back it down ,dont go past that point when setting every thing up.

I don't get the dmm method. Subs are not a stable impedance. Calibrating to 4 /2/1 ohms means nothing because your subs will be all over the place when playing music.

If you setting a full range amp and a sub amp the levels can be way out of wack and sound like crap.

A dmm wont show clipping ,you need a oscope

Clipping is audible. Use your ears. If its to loud use an oscope.Turn the source to max,crank gain till it clips,back it down ,dont go past that point when setting every thing up.
Right and wrong here.

Yes its always a good idea to use an oscope to detect clipping. Unfortunately this is not feasible with most people's budget. To get around this you just set the gain at a safe volume around 80-90% of what your headunit will go to. This will set your gain at a conservative level where you won't have to worry about clipping. One thing to consider here is that clipping is not always audible.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.