2 SA-8's vs Single 12" type R

DaveVT
10+ year member

Like A Boss
VT
Ok so I have my SA-8's here awaiting an enclosure which will be around .66 cubes per sub after displacement tuned to around 35hz I believe. Ill be running a Xenon 1200.1 to the pair. At the moment I have the amp hooked up to the alpine in a prefab ported box that originally was made for a Boston Acoustic sub so its definitely not made to spec for the alpine.

Im just wanting to know if the sundowns will get louder.....

One odd thing though, the alpine is a dual 4 wired to 2 ohms but at the speaker terminals its showing 4ohm.....The amp gain is up higher than I think it should be and the bass boost is about 60% of the way up. Otherwise the sub barely makes a peep. It gets decently loud and the amp barely gets warm.

I just think its a bit odd to have to turn the gain up so high AND actually use the bass boost....

Deck is an alpine with 2v preouts iirc and the sub gain on the deck is max. Any ideas why I would have to crank things so much?

2v preouts are the cheap deck standard today.. It could also be imp rise due to crappy speaker wire. Also make sure you have a good electrical to back that amp up. It'll help!

Lesson 1. Set the gain with a dmm, it is not a volume knob.

Lesson 2. Never use bass boost unless you want blown equipment.

You've been on here for 10 years, you shouldnt have to ask these kinds of questions or should know to give more information when asking these kinds of questions.

Is this some weak troll attempt?

Lesson 1. Set the gain with a dmm, it is not a volume knob.
Lesson 2. Never use bass boost unless you want blown equipment.

You've been on here for 10 years, you shouldnt have to ask these kinds of questions or should know to give more information when asking these kinds of questions.

Is this some weak troll attempt?
I know how to set gains lol. However when your running a 600w sub on a 1200w amp thats where im kind of confused as far as gains go. As for the bass boost....like I said its alot quieter without it. Normally I NEVER use any kind of boosts. Also, I dont really care if I blow the alpine. Its just odd that I have to crank the gain so much.....and yeah ive been here a while but it never hurts to to ask when your not 100% sure on something. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

anyone have any idea though why id have to crank the gain on the amp AND use the boost to get the alpine hitting decently?. Ive never had to before so it makes no sense. This amp should slam the hell out of the alpine with the gain low....

it showing 4 ohms would be my guess on why you need to turn it up so high.. its probably 1200 watts at 1 or 2 ohms correct? also the sub showing 4 ohms means either the coils aren't hooked together, one side is shot, or you have a LOT of resistance.. Imp rise exists but it doesn't show up until you start playing the sub not just measuring the resistance on the wire.. and you can't use a dmm for reactive resistance.. as far as I am aware.. atleast not on mine

Had the same issue with a BRZ1200 amp....I wonder what it is too....
its odd.....im going to set the gain properly tomorrow and see what happens. Also, even though the sub rca's on the deck are non fading I can still increase the sub output by adjusting the bass for the interior speakers.....

Because you have 4ohms of resistance and 2v pre-outs... it makes perfect sense that you have to crank it. I'll bet that amp isn't pushing out 1200 @ 2ohms either., it's more likely at 1 ohm. and the SA-8's in a properly designed and built ported enclosure would almost definitely be louder.

it showing 4 ohms would be my guess on why you need to turn it up so high.. its probably 1200 watts at 1 or 2 ohms correct? also the sub showing 4 ohms means either the coils aren't hooked together, one side is shot, or you have a LOT of resistance.. Imp rise exists but it doesn't show up until you start playing the sub not just measuring the resistance on the wire.. and you can't use a dmm for reactive resistance.. as far as I am aware.. atleast not on mine
amp is 1200w at 1,2 and 4 ohms. Subs coils both read 4 ohms and its wired for 2 ohm. Reads 3.8 though at the terminal.....strange. Ill double check everything tomorrow.

Because you have 4ohms of resistance and 2v pre-outs... it makes perfect sense that you have to crank it. I'll bet that amp isn't pushing out 1200 @ 2ohms either., it's more likely at 1 ohm. and the SA-8's in a properly designed and built ported enclosure would almost definitely be louder.
Its dual 4 ohm wired to 2ohm....but still reading near 4 ohm for some odd reason. Also, as I posted the amp is 1200w 1, 2 and 4 ohm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.