2 channel amps? Whats the point!

Hellrazor1200

Wv
I dont understand the purpose of a 2 channel bridgable amplifier. Heres my arguement and i have thought a lot about this. So with a 2 channel, it can be bridged to a one channel. Typically most all 2 channels are 2 ohm stable stereo and 4 ohm stable bridged( im not talking about old skool awesome 2 or 1 ohm stable bridgeable amps now!). In general, most car audio speakers are 4 ohm. Now with a 2 channel you can run 2 speakers off each channel. Fine. You can run 1, 4 ohm sub. Fine. But lets say you want to run 4 4 ohm speakerS in stereo down to a 2 ohm load a channel. Fine! But now fader controls are lost! So all speakers play at the same time. Also if theres different speaker in the back an the in the front, there isnt anyway to adjust gains per set of speaker! So the rear 6x9s Will almost always distort whereas the fronts will not. A 4 channel fixes that. Now onto bridge mode. Again most all 2 channel amp can be bridged only to 4 ohm. Most subwoofers are 4 ohm. Even a handful of dvc subwoofers are dvc 4 ohm. You cannot parralell two 4 ohms to a bridgable amp and you cant series two four ohms to a bridgable amp... Unless!!! You have a more powerful amp or subwoofers with a smaller power handling resulting in an 8 ohm load to the amplifier. My current set up is an old skool alpine rated 60 rms x2@ 4ohm or 80rms x2@2 ohm and 160rmsx1@4ohm. Powering 2 old skool jl audio 12w0-4s. I tried to series them to 8 ohm mono and they hit and sound good a little bit in a ported box by the way not to theres specs... But you can feel it. Then today i decided to find some more amp screws and run both in stereo and since theyre rated for 125 rms each i hooked them up in stereo. They hit hard as hell for 125 watters! But since theyre in stereo it no longer sounds like subwoofers ahould sound like. My friend even agreed! They dont play frequencies around 100hz like they do bridged series. Like weird highs are missing and weird lows dont sound right like in bridged. So anyway you could run 2. 8 ohm subs in parallel or 2 2 ohm subs in series for the bridgalbe amps but then in the end you got those weird 8 ohm subwoofers lying around or those nice 2 ohms. But with a mono amp you can wire your stuff to any load you want! Pretty much today 1 ohm is the standard for any brand for a mono amp. And 4 for a bridgable. What are you thoughts on 2 channel amps. I hate them!!!! Let me hear you complain lmfao. Btw i even had a dude at the audio store say theyre pointless lol

Yea, I mean who the hell wants to run 3+ amps with sweet azz clean active cross overs with good slopes.....and have a awesome SQ system anyways ?????

That shizz is over rated .....

I mean, those Dual amps with the awesome built in super efficient and clean cross overs are the best anyways, right ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Run active with two 2 channels if your tweeters and mids have way different power handling and/or sensitivity.

2 channels aren't useless..

You could also run a component set quite well with them. Forget about rear-fill.

We might as well throw 4 legged cats in here. I would prefer a 3 or 2 legged cat. I wouldn't have to worry about the cat jumping on me. If it just had 2 left legs it would be funny to watch it try and run and just spin. I imagine a 3 legged cat wouldn't be able to jump as high. I don't want to sound mean but I just don't want a cat with 4 legs.... so I don't have a fugging cat.

Im serious though I hate 2 channel amps unless they are stable at 2 ohms or less. I mean if you have a truck two speakers are ok right? And people dissing rear fill?! Thats bs my car ***** without the rear fill. 2 rockford fosgates up front and two alpine type s in the back. Both are weak without eachother and deffinately get faded to -2 to the back. My car is huge. Lincoln Mark vii. Also though again with the subs... Subs just plain **** playing in stereo. They need to be mono. Recomend me good 2 channel amp if you can that doesnt cost 500$ and is 1 ohm stable bridged...

Btw I am not trolling nor do I use dual audio. I am being serious. Why would you you run two power wires for two seperate amps when you can run one power wire for one 4 channel amp or one 5 channel amp.

But tri mode you need a higher watt amp. Low watts is fine for a speaker but not a sub! I guess i'm just weird though. I like my subs to shake the car. Not everyone wants rattling bass. But realky that's the only bass I know....

Btw I am not trolling nor do I use dual audio. I am being serious. Why would you you run two power wires for two seperate amps when you can run one power wire for one 4 channel amp or one 5 channel amp.
You can run 1 1awg wire to a distrobution block and split that into 4awg and/or 8awg wires very easily. As mentioned, 2 channel amps are good for a component set running through passive crossovers. Used if someone ran the highs off the HU amp and wanted an amp for the door speakers. Could be used to run two subs. Could be used because someone wants a class A/B amp for their mids or component set. This could be used for NUMEROUS different reasons.

I think you are arguing just to argue.

OP, you asked, So Here ya go. A 2 ch amp rated at 200w @ 4 ohm mono (2 ohms) running at 2 ohms mono (1 ohm).... you can do the math I assume ....

I've got a few more RF and mtx 2 ch that will do the same ....Oh, and my HCCA's, and vlx's, and Mmats, and Kenwoods, and Alphasoniks ....ect ...ect ....

I take it you haven't had much experience with GOOD amps ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.