2 bad 12s or 1 good 12?

Mitchyv
10+ year member

Well right now I have in my possession 2 Sony xplodes 12s (yeah I know) in a box running on a 350 watt clarion mono block amp, well today I received a free jl w1v2 in a box

My question to you is (considering that the subs were in perfect sized boxes) what would you choose to go with. The one Jl or the 2 sonnys? keep in mind Im going to be running them off my 350 watt clarion mono block. I would appreciate any help or advice

Out of those choices? I'd go with the Xplods. I had a pair back in the day and they weren't that bad, did good for me on 300 or so watts. Plus with the extra cone area of having another sub, they would probably get louder than that one jl.

Really depends on your goal. With a proper design with the JL you could get some very good sound and pleasing output going.

Well ill put it like this, in my GFs car i just went from one infinity kappa perfect 12" in a ported 2cf box @32 hz to 2 12" Audiobahn el cheapos in a good box 4cf @ 33 hz, and the audiobahns are much much louder. Same power, same amp, same ohm load.

no. basically it's:

2 SONYs in the specific enclosure that fits your response target (if you have the dimensions to support this enclosure) = excellent sound and louder than the single JL.

1 JL 12W1 in the specific enclosure that fits your response target = excellent sound and not as loud as the two SONY subs.

Summary: if you have the larger dimensions required to support the target response, the SONYs are capable of getting louder and sounding every bit as good.

I would sell the sony's and build a box for the jl while saving for something better.

I had a jl 12w1v2-4 and ran it in a hair over 2 cu/ft tuned to 35hz with a 4inch pvc pipe port and it did pretty good. My amp was rated for 534wrms at 4 ohms so it was definitely getting over rated rms and never bottomed out or got hot and I had the volume high, beating on it pretty good. It wasn't as loud as my Boston G1-12-4 but got lower in the same box/tuning/amp.

Very hard to beat JL Audio. If it is in a box that was made for it, JL all the way. I have 4 sony xplodes(the black 1's) in a sealed box that was made for them and they been boomin' for about 5 years of 2 directed 600's, Last month I put a directed 2400 on the foursome and they beat even harder,but I wonder how long!

Very hard to beat JL Audio. If it is in a box that was made for it, JL all the way. I have 4 sony xplodes(the black 1's) in a sealed box that was made for them and they been boomin' for about 5 years of 2 directed 600's, Last month I put a directed 2400 on the foursome and they beat even harder,but I wonder how long!
What is not hard to beat about JL audio?

I'd recommend either A- sell the sonys & buy another w1 or B- sell all & buy something better like an sa-15 or something from ssa audio.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.