2 Amps - what gauge main power?

Istari1
10+ year member

Ok, its the usual question I am sure. I have a Zapco 360.2 and now I just picked up a JBL BP300.1 for a sub amp. Right now the Zapco is running off a 4 gauge power wire. Do you think I can still use that 4 gauge and split it into two 8 gauge power wires for these amps? Or am I going to have to run an all new 0 guage power wire? Obviously the 0 guage would be the BEST solution. But running an entirely new 0 gauge is going to be a big PITA and will probably mean the sub doesnt go in for many months, but I also dont like to cut corners.

Running under 1000w total RMS you should be fine splitting the existing 4awg into 8awg feeding the amps. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You can do 4awg for main power. Best choice would be 1/0 main split into two 4awg. If cost is issue, get weldingsupply 1/0..cheapest you'll find then get a distro and a new fuseholder/fuse

i stated what i would do or wouldn't do.
Obviously. That wasn't in question.

I inquired as to why you would choose not to do so in an attempt to possibly educate myself (seeing as that is ostensibly the main purpose of this discussion board). It wasn't in an attempt to flame but rather to learn something.

Silly me! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Lol, well thanks for the replies so far. . . not sure if I have an answer or not //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You'll be fine with the 4 AWG from the battery and 8 gauge from the dist block. I don't see any reason to go with 1/0 gauge considering the power you are running.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.