2 Amps Running 1 Sub w/ 2 Voice Coils

TheJuggla1
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Surrey BC
I am wondering if this is possible, I have google searched it and seen a bit of info saying you can, not really enough to convince me it is possible though.

I heard you can run a DVC sub with 2 amps if each VC gets an amp(The amps and tuning on each amp has to be the same)

The way I see it, it seems like it would be the same theory as running 2 single voice coil subs off their own amps, so I am not completely doubtful about this not working.

To be specific I am looking at the Solo X 18".

They would have to be the EXACT same amp, but even then it would be impossible for them to output the exact same amount of power. You'd be better off strapping the amps (if possible)

They would have to be the EXACT same amp, but even then it would be impossible for them to output the exact same amount of power. You'd be better off strapping the amps (if possible)
Ok I was thinking that because usually electronic stuff can be up to 20% off I hear.

Strapping = Combining?

its a way of doing so yes.

what you need in order to do this is 2 of the same amp.....and then you ned a test tone disc, and a CD player capable of repeat and a DMM to measure voltage at the amps output terminals.

if you have all of that, then i will go into the process of gain matching....

what you need in order to do this is 2 of the same amp.....and then you ned a test tone disc, and a CD player capable of repeat and a DMM to measure voltage at the amps output terminals.

You should go into it anyway because I'm curious now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Oh so its a quite a bit more work, I can't just put the gains the same then plug em in. Gain matching should be too hard if I have a Ohm Meter?

Well what do you guys suggest running 2 amps or 1 larger one? Whats the cheaper route?
Always 1 larger one.

Cheaper, easier, more efficient route imo.

Only people that run 2 are typically upgrading and strapping or have obnxious amounts of power.

the AQ 3500

SAE 3000D can be strapped as well.

two 2200's is under 700 right now thats assloads of power, probably take another 400 in batteries and wire to run it though, with HO alt even more

You're saying strapping is impossible, then suggesting him to find strappable amps. Good job. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Yes, it's possible, with strappable amps.

Then you've got a master / slave setup, you only set the gain on the master amp & it matches the same power from the slave amp.

If the dude doesn't know that you can strap amps, I wouldn't suggest trying to explain gain matching to him.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

You're saying strapping is impossible, then suggesting him to find strappable amps. Good job. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
Yes, it's possible, with strappable amps.

Then you've got a master / slave setup, you only set the gain on the master amp & it matches the same power from the slave amp.
No I was talking about 2 separate things. My first suggestion was for amps that are NOT strappable, meaning he would have to set the gains individually. Besides, I never said strapping was impossible, I said it would be impossible to find 2 amps that put out the EXACT same amount of power. If he sets the gains correctly, then they would be close, but still not exact...

So just to make it clear you ONLY touch the 'master' amp's gain/Freq. when you set it up this way? How would you go about setting it up this way?(And how would I tell if the amps work like this)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.