(2) 8 ohm DVC = 2 ohm load

Participant count
  • Participant list

jhinton81

Guys-

I have researched and researched the answer to my question and I have come up blank every time. I have seen variances that would work, but really would like to know my best solution. The following is what I have, could you guys please tell me the best way to wire to amp. I am not looking for crazy mind blowing bass. I am looking for a crisp clean bass.

Amp

Kicker CX300.1, Class D, Mono, 150W RMS, 300W Max

Speakers

(2) Kicker Comp 10C108, 10", 8 ohm, DVC

I think the amp's max load is 2 ohms and is mono. I know you can't get down to 2 ohm using 8 ohm speakers but I know that I can get down to 4 ohm load on amp. I am just not sure how. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If a speaker is 8 ohm and a DVC does that mean each VC is 4 ohm? I just know that these kicker comp 10s are 8 ohm and they have 2 sets of +/- terminals on each sub. So, are you saying I should wire parallel/parallel on that link you sent? If so, you are saying that each speaker is only getting 75W? If so, would that be crisp bass?

If a speaker is 8 ohm and a DVC does that mean each VC is 4 ohm? I just know that these kicker comp 10s are 8 ohm and they have 2 sets of +/- terminals on each sub. So, are you saying I should wire parallel/parallel on that link you sent? If so, you are saying that each speaker is only getting 75W? If so, would that be crisp bass?
each voice coil (2 per sub) will be 8 ohms. Wiring the subs in parallel/parallel will present a 2 ohm load on the amp. At 2 ohms your amp puts out 150 watts RMS which means majority of your listening will be around that wattage. 300 watts PEAK will happen but for very short time spans. So....2 subs means that 150 watts RMS will be split between the subs, so 75 watts per sub. It will sound ok but i'm sure those subs will be a higher RMS rating than 75 per sub.

Right. Each voice coil is 8 ohms, and you technically have 4 voice coils between your two subs. Anyway, sitting at 8 ohms, you can wire one sub in parallel to achieve a 4-ohm load. Since you have two subs, wiring in parallel again will knock you down from 4 to 2. Presto!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.