2-12 inch Sundown SA v2 or 1-12 inch Sundown U? 2ohm or 4ohm?

Participant count
  • Participant list

HinkDawg

CarAudio.com Recruit
Ohio
I’m currently in the market for Sundown subs. My diamond sub blew after 5 years and I wanted to upgrade my amp and sub. I just bought the 15th anniversary Sundown SAZ-1500D amp and now I’m looking to pair it with Sundown subs. I was looking at the 12 inch SA v2. I want to get 2 of those or just 1-12 inch U sub. If I get either of them should I get 4 ohm or 2 ohm. I have an upgraded alternator with the big 3 upgrade as well so power isn’t an issue. Just looking for some advice! Please and Thank you!

Those V2s only come with a 2.75" coil on them. Most 1,000 watt rms subwoofers these days come with a 3" voice coil. Plus those are 350 bucks. For that kind of price I would be looking at Fi, DD, SSA and so on as well to compare.

Plus that SAZ-1500 amp does or the older version did around 1,600 watts at 1ohm certified. If you only buy one sub then either get 2 ohm or dual 1 ohm to wire at 1 ohm at the amplifier. If you buy 2 subwoofers then either dual 4 ohm or dual 1 ohm to get that 1 ohm load at the amplifier.

If you got the room for the correct size box, then I would consider a single 15" from the ones I listed or Sundown if you are using that amplifier and not going to add batteries to the mix even with the big 3 and alternator done.

Last edited:
How much room do you have. 2 sa will probably be louder if you have the space for the right size box.
I drive a 19 impreza sedan so thats the next part i have to figure out is how to get a custom box built for the sub/subs. Ive heard that sundowns hit good on the lows but perform better if they have more space.

Those V2s only come with a 2.75" coil on them. Most 1,000 watt rms subwoofers these days come with a 3" voice coil. Plus those are 350 bucks. For that kind of price I would be looking at Fi, DD, SSA and so on as well to compare.

Plus that SAZ-1500 amp does or the older version did around 1,600 watts at 1ohm certified. If you only buy one sub then either get 2 ohm or dual 1 ohm to wire at 1 ohm at the amplifier. If you buy 2 subwoofers then either dual 4 ohm or dual 1 ohm to get that 1 ohm load at the amplifier.

If you got the room for the correct size box, then I would consider a single 15" from the ones I listed or Sundown if you are using that amplifier and not going to add batteries to the mix even with the big 3 and alternator done.
How do the ssa icon compare to the sa v2?

Tbh I would take the SSA Icon over that SA V2. Better coil, cooling and RMS power as well not too mention every person I know that has bought them...LOVES them! I would buy a set but I need more RMS power. There is a guy on DIYMA that has a pair that he is selling for 400 bucks plus shipping iirc and if you are close to indiana he will even meet you. Has very little time on them and selling because of medical bills.

Tbh I would take the SSA Icon over that SA V2. Better coil, cooling and RMS power as well not too mention every person I know that has bought them...LOVES them! I would buy a set but I need more RMS power. There is a guy on DIYMA that has a pair that he is selling for 400 bucks plus shipping iirc and if you are close to indiana he will even meet you. Has very little time on them and selling because of medical bills.
Ok thank you for the update. I would want to buy them as a 4ohm right? Then wire it down to 1 ohm?

If you are going to run two then buy either Dual 4 ohm or Dual 1 ohm to run at 1 ohm at the amplifier. If only buying one subwoofer then buy Dual 2 ohm.

If you want to go single and have the room then look at the 15" in something. Might be able to get it to work.

Couple people here have SSA Icon's and couple more just ordered the SSA ZCon. I would consider them but I need something with around 1,500-,1800 watts for each one.

If you are going to run two then buy either Dual 4 ohm or Dual 1 ohm to run at 1 ohm at the amplifier. If only buying one subwoofer then buy Dual 2 ohm.

If you want to go single and have the room then look at the 15" in something. Might be able to get it to work.

Couple people here have SSA Icon's and couple more just ordered the SSA ZCon. I would consider them but I need something with around 1,500-,1800 watts for each one.
I see so especially with my amp that im running i should just stick to the icons because i would need more power for the zcons. Also the icons on ssa website they only have the 4 ohm available so i would have to get those ones if i ordered off their website lol

Good call Coolhand, yeah dude has 2 Icon subs for sale on DIY, he responded to me here a while back. They are basically new and will play much better than the 2 SA subs, and yes they are dual 4 ohm.

Good call Coolhand, yeah dude has 2 Icon subs for sale on DIY, he responded to me here a while back. They are basically new and will play much better than the 2 SA subs, and yes they are dual 4 ohm.
Just made an account on DIYMA so I have to wait until admins approve me then I can reach out to him.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...