1x DD3512e vs. 2x kicker l5 10'' what u think?

dooski
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok im quite new to the car audio hobby and recently a friend just gave me 2 kicker l5 10'' subs with a box for free. but from what im reading on these forums there not so good with SQ. And so far i see alot of people saying the DD3512e from Digital designs is very good for SQ but I was wondering if its really that big a difference for the money cause then i need to buy a box and prolly spend 400+ all together. The amp that i will be using is a MMats d1100.1 that i recently purchased from Spooney.

Oh i would like to also mention i listen to Heavy Metal/screamo kind of music so I'm trying to avoid listening to muddy double kicks. If you guys think the kicker l5 can handle that kind of bass then i will stick with it.

thanks in advance.

I would try the kickers and see how you like them. If they don't suit your needs you can always change later. If the enclosure you were given is a prefab you might want to look into building/buying a box that would better suit your needs. I have no idea what frequencies are common in your prefered music but prefabs tend to be tuned really high, thus exagerating the upper frequencies.

yea the only reason i was comparing the kicker to the DD3512e is cause i saw a listing on the classifieds someone was selling, oh and i just saw a thread with someone selling the focal 13v2 speakers, i own focal components and they sound great so i would imagine the subs must be pretty good to. although i dont get y they are rated at such a low wattage.

And also how do u no if the box was tuned cause im pretty sure the one that i have was made at home and if its not tuned is there a guide on how to do this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

Enclosure will make a huge difference regardless of which you decide to go with.

With that power I would look into Obsidian or Cadence subs though. There are many others as well that will work great with that power and well with in a better budget.

Enclosures are what kills most designs/builds. If you cheap out there, you will notice it every time.

yea the only reason i was comparing the kicker to the DD3512e is cause i saw a listing on the classifieds someone was selling, oh and i just saw a thread with someone selling the focal 13v2 speakers, i own focal components and they sound great so i would imagine the subs must be pretty good to. although i dont get y they are rated at such a low wattage.
And also how do u no if the box was tuned cause im pretty sure the one that i have was made at home and if its not tuned is there a guide on how to do this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.
Are you sure it is an E motor? If it is lets work out a deal and a may buy it from you

Because SOUND QUALITY pretty much stops at about 130dB. The vast majority of true audiophile equipment is not built to withstand kilowatts of power. I'm sure the focals will sound fantastic, but the sort of people who use them wouldn't consider running more than 500W or so to a sub-stage.

IMO if you got the subs for free, use them. Have someone build you a proper box, or pay for a design from someone competent and build it yourself. Odds are you'll be pretty happy with them.

alright sounds good, guess i will stay with the kickers now the thing is to find out if the box i got is tuned, i have no idea how to figure this out lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.