1x 12" Alpine Type R -VS- 2x 12" MB Quart Onyx

12" Alpine Type-R (SWR12D4) = 1000W RMS

12" MB Quart Onyx (ONX304) = 400W RMS

The Alpine Type-R is a relatively high quality subwoofer costing 5x the MB Quart Onyx, but completely ignoring the price, which one would sound better and which one would sound louder? SQ vs SPL.

2x 400W = 800W,

I already have an Alpine Type-R but with this other sub on sale for $50, I might just buy 2 for laughs and giggles. 3 is out of the question because my amp is only 1000W. However, if 2x of these subs provide no SQ or SPL advantage then it would only be a waste of trunk space and money.

Opinions? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I would guess the mb quarts would be louder. Not sure on SQ, the type rs are alpines SPL woofer where as the type x is the SQ woofer so I've been told. There's better options out there than both of those though.

12" Alpine Type-R (SWR12D4) = 1000W RMS 12" MB Quart Onyx (ONX304) = 400W RMS

The Alpine Type-R is a relatively high quality subwoofer costing 5x the MB Quart Onyx, but completely ignoring the price, which one would sound better and which one would sound louder? SQ vs SPL.

2x 400W = 800W,

I already have an Alpine Type-R but with this other sub on sale for $50, I might just buy 2 for laughs and giggles. 3 is out of the question because my amp is only 1000W. However, if 2x of these subs provide no SQ or SPL advantage then it would only be a waste of trunk space and money.

Opinions? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
MB Quart OWC304 12" Dual 4 ohm Onyx Series 350W Car Subwoofer

Alpine SWR-12D4 12" Type-R Series 3000W Car Subwoofer

none of the above..

Rockford Fosgate PUNCH P3D4-12 12" P3 Series Car Subwoofer, $140

or

Pair of Infinity Reference 1262W (REF1262W) 12" Dual 4 ohm Subs, $110

or

Massive Audio Kilo-124 12" Dual 4 Ohm Kilo Series Suboofer, $130

The type R he has is better than these options. For the amp he has, the R is good. Why waste trunk space with two subs if they're off the same power? Doubling surface area will only gain SPL if all other things are equal. Surface area and excursion are two important factors. Two subs with half the excursion would yield no gain.

The type R he has is better than these options. For the amp he has, the R is good. Why waste trunk space with two subs if they're off the same power? Doubling surface area will only gain SPL if all other things are equal. Surface area and excursion are two important factors. Two subs with half the excursion would yield no gain.
I hate it when you're right //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I've decided not to get 2 MB Quarts but only 1.

Around a month ago, someone broke into my car near my university and stole my entire Alpine system which now the insurance company has re-bought for me. I live in 2 places and I'll be using this cheap sub instead of the Type-R while I'm at my place near the university so that people won't be trying to steal it... Hopefully. I'm also going to attach 2 cheap 6.5" subs to it so it might give a more well rounded response but I'll make another topic for that.

Thanks everybody for your opinions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Really a set of infinites will sound better and get louder due to efficiency. Yes they have lower xmax but depending on the box for say a sealed box. They would need very little power in comparison to the type r to hit xmax which with 2 12s vs 1 12 this equates to the same amount of air displacement.

Sq wise its hard to beat the cheap infinites. In a ported box the type r would have some advantage especially if any box design was designed for efficiency.

Remember old school subs didnt have much xmax but rather relied on efficiency and motor force.

You see since the Type-R is paid for by an insurance claim. I cannot change it even if I wanted to so I'm not really considering anything that would be of similar price range. $50 for a 400W 12" sub from a somewhat acceptable subwoofer brand is a pretty good deal :l

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.