1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Build Log... My attempt at something decent!

As of now, I don't have any plans to put a fan in them. There is a good inch of clearance over it. The amps are very efficient, so they shouldn't get too hot. I have a Type R hooked up to the top one at 2 ohms right now and it barely gets lukewarm, even after a good hour of use in the hot KC summer. I doubt I will ever drive these into protect through overheating... most of the time I am not a basshead.
As for the substage, that is still up in the air. It won't be done for a few months. I'd like to start with a single 18 and then add a second one via a partial wall as time goes on. Possibly a pair of Nightshades. Although I don't really have enough power for a pair. Maybe some AQ HDC3 18's... pair of BL 18's? Maybe four 12" T3 TSS's? Who knows.
**** if u want u can buy my dd now! im trying to get rid of a 3518e //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Hey man. Good to see you got your project started. I think you'll be more happy with the SEAS than my L1s you were thinking about. I would look into some 18" Soundsplinter RL-p's if you want loud but good sounding bass. Let me know how high those SLS mids play. I may try them, but only if I can use them 2-way up front. Are they 4 or 8ohm?

Edit: Also nice to see someone who can take build log pics that are decent quality haha. I'm guessing you took that pic in your sig? HDR is the shiz...

as far as lifting the seats, be careful with how tall you go because they arent very stable once you lift them, my friend had a guy machine him basically really thick washers and he jammed them in there but then the seat felt like it swayed side to side when he turned.

Hey man. Good to see you got your project started. I think you'll be more happy with the SEAS than my L1s you were thinking about. I would look into some 18" Soundsplinter RL-p's if you want loud but good sounding bass. Let me know how high those SLS mids play. I may try them, but only if I can use them 2-way up front. Are they 4 or 8ohm?
Edit: Also nice to see someone who can take build log pics that are decent quality haha. I'm guessing you took that pic in your sig? HDR is the shiz...
Thanks! The SLS's are not really intended to be used as midranges. I wouldn't cross them any higher than 600-800. Mine are crossed at 320 at the moment. I've heard good things about the Dayton RS-180 being used in two-way setups. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-374

And no, I didn't take that pic in my sig. I wish I had a camera that nice!

Nice equipment choice. I don't really understand how people completely forget about their frontstage or start with their substage first. I like the direction you're going. I have a pretty good SQL system myself using DIY drivers. I'm running Dayton RS225's on 300wrms each, a set of 2" fullrangers in each a-pillar, and 3 RE SE12's off 2500wrms. I'm still playing with which setup will be better, running the 2" fullrangers, components w/ coaxial mounting in the kicks, or 6" midrange in the kicks and tweeters in the a-pillars. I'd really love to do 3" or 4" plus tweets on the dash though. Wish I could have a chance to hear it when you're all done. Keep it up.

Nice equipment choice. I don't really understand how people completely forget about their frontstage or start with their substage first. I'm running Dayton RS225's on 300wrms each, a set of 2" fullrangers in each a-pillar, and 3 RE SE12's off 2500wrms. I'm still playing with which setup will be better, running the 2" fullrangers, components w/ coaxial mounting in the kicks, or 6" midrange in the kicks and tweeters in the a-pillars. I'd really love to do 3" or 4" plus tweets on the dash though. Wish I could have a chance to hear it when you're all done. Keep it up.
I've heard that those 3" Konak (or something like that) drivers they are selling on Madisound sound quite good doing full range. I've tried using the Daytons full range, and they do surprisingly well - however they really break up around 5khz at high volumes and get rather harsh. The tweeters really help tame that and I can apply more power. They do get quite loud as they are!

300 wRMS per side on those 225's sounds a bit excessive... You could easily get away with running two or three per side with that kind of power. Thanks for the props!

when do i get to hear this?
We should get together when I get it finished or go to a show. I'm hoping to get the subs in either during fall break or winter break. I'd really love to hear some Image Dynamics equipment - I've never had a chance to listen.

We should get together when I get it finished or go to a show. I'm hoping to get the subs in either during fall break or winter break. I'd really love to hear some Image Dynamics equipment - I've never had a chance to listen.
hells yeah, just let me know. i will say my system is having a little issue with either my a4 or a loose wire going to my left mid so it wont sound right if you hear it anytime soon but you'll get the idea.

I really want to check out your system though

This is probably the last update I will make for a while, since I am moving up to school on Wednesday.

Today I wrapped up the seat lift. I didn't want to pay $130 for a kit, so I made my own. Cost me about $12, plus $20 for a 1/2 inch drill bit. It's extremely secure and doesn't sway at all. I made a new thread in case anyone is interested in doing this themselves: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6481837#post6481837

DSC04543.jpg

DSC04553.jpg

The other day I got pair of 10" Alpine Type R's for $20, so I threw them in a box I had lying around and secured it to the seat. They're running off a single American Bass XD-2000 at the moment. I was pretty surprised at their output! Not the best sounding woofers in the world, but they'll be fine for the next few months.

DSC04557.jpg

DSC04555.jpg

So my install is finally wrapped up for the time being, and I'm glad I don't have half a ton of crap in my cab. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif:D:D

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.