1989 Jeep Cherokee Install

spitfirees20
10+ year member

i have the re boner
Wow, this is a compact little SUV; it doesn't seem all that small, but the stuff is really smushed the hell up in there! Anyways, I just have two quick questions, I'm doing an install on my 1989 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), and I wanted to know:

1) Where can I run the RCA's through the dash to the HU? I want the wires to come out on the passenger side of the truck, near the feet.

2) Where do you ground an amp in the back? I was thinking maybe on the bolt where the rear seat hinges to fold down?

If you have any install experience with an older cherokee, or just a cherokee in general, your input is greatly appreciated!

For the RCA's, I had to pull out my AC controls and follow the wires from it to find an opening.

I am not sure about the ground, I am not that far yet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I ran the RCA's to the right side of the vehicle, ran the 4 gauge wire from the alternator back under the jeep to the dual Optima's in back. I went to a industrial electrcial supply and bought a dual 600 MCM ground block which I bolted onto the right wheel well seam behind the interior peice that covers it. The dual 600 MCM ground holds up to 2/0 welding cable, which is what I use for the grounds and powers for my batteries/amps.

dual4000s.jpg

4hpback.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

What I did in my `96 XJ with the RCA`s ..was plug them in the back of the HU and had the RCA`s follow the trim of the dash down,then i unscrewed the bottom part of the dash,ran the RCA`s through that to my kick panel,then behind that,then along the floor trim piece all the way back to the amp/s*all on the passenger side/right side,power of the left*

And I have/had my ground in the exact same location with out a hitch at all

The installer who put my Alpine D300 did the same thing..just with the other wires cuz the brain is in the back and thats where the RCA`s connect to

mm, it seemed really easy in my jeep, it's a 2 door. i ran the rca's right down through the dash and straight back on the passenger side under the carpet, hugging the center of the car..you can't see anything without taking off the dash piece. and grounded my amps underneath my back seats. in the 2 door models of cherokees (what i have), there are nice little holes in the base of the seats that you can run wire through, made my 1/0, speaker and rca wires very simple...not sure if it's the same with a 4 door though.

dude, get a clothes hanger or something, it's not that difficult
for the ground, just go to the rear seat belt bolt, no biggie.
Sounds good, I'll do that. And if the amp fries, do you want my paypal to send me the monies? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif

I am actually tonight taking all of my wires behind the head unit out, and relocating the a/c controls to the top position, and removing the air duct to make way for a 8" touchscreen carputer. No more RCA's back there for me, just a SVGA cable //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

I did get bored earlier and put my Goldline meter in my port....plaing track 4 on the new TI album

testingport.gif

I am actually tonight taking all of my wires behind the head unit out, and relocating the a/c controls to the top position, and removing the air duct to make way for a 8" touchscreen carputer. No more RCA's back there for me, just a SVGA cable //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif
I did get bored earlier and put my Goldline meter in my port....plaing track 4 on the new TI album

testingport.gif
SVGA //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/drool.gif.b5e863e893038027711d4402f340dad0.gif Anyways, how did you run the RCA's in the first place?

89 and 96 will have the same interior, save for the steering wheel and seats.
[Local XJ GURU]
Well thanks for that, I'm going to try all of these solutions tomorrow and hope one works! BTW, local XJ guru, psh //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif wait until you see my jeep on jeepforum.com, fresh engine rebuilt from 2 separate motors, plus performance parts, the project will all be done soon....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.