15" sp4

Participant count
  • Participant list
He has a second battery but stock alternator. I've told him to upgrade it but that'll be a while I'm sure.
He bought a sundown 2k watt amp, should be here next week. He also ordered a box from Cscstang. Should be slammin in 2 to 3 weeks.

I appreciate the help fellas

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
Good thing he didn't get a 3k then!

Thanks for the help everyone but now I have another question.

Today my cousin and I got everything installed. 2/0 welding wire from front battery to kenetic 2400 in the back, 2/0 power and ground to amp, Pioneer head unit, Sundown 2000 watt amp. 07 Camry

The sub just is not as loud as we expected. I know my car should get louder easier because it's a wagon and his car can't even fold down the rear seats. But still my 15" ICON in a 4.4 cu ft box tuned to 30 Hz kills his fi sp4 at all frequencies, which is in about 5 cu ft tuned to 34 Hz. Mine is a slot port and he has an octoport. His box was built by @CSCStang who has done 2 other boxes for me that both got really loud so I doubt the box is an issue. (correct my on the specs of the box if I'm wrong)

Does he just not have enough power for the 4 inch voice coil? I was going to try swapping in my DD M3C next weekend to see if thats the issue but even an extra 3 db from doubling the power doesn't seem like it'll get us there.

I'm hoping he gains a little output after it breaks in a litte but we are kind of baffled. He previously had a RE 15" XXX (the later long basket kind) in a sealed box running off only a 1000 watt hifonics amp that slammed in the same car. Dumped all over this new setup.

[quote name='hone']Thanks for the help everyone but now I have another question.

Today my cousin and I got everything installed. 2/0 welding wire from front battery to kenetic 2400 in the back, 2/0 power and ground to amp, Pioneer head unit, Sundown 2000 watt amp. 07 Camry

The sub just is not as loud as we expected. I know my car should get louder easier because it's a wagon and his car can't even fold down the rear seats. But still my 15" ICON in a 4.4 cu ft box tuned to 30 Hz kills his fi sp4 at all frequencies, which is in about 5 cu ft tuned to 34 Hz. Mine is a slot port and he has an octoport. His box was built by @CSCStang who has done 2 other boxes for me that both got really loud so I doubt the box is an issue. (correct my on the specs of the box if I'm wrong)

Does he just not have enough power for the 4 inch voice coil? I was going to try swapping in my DD M3C next weekend to see if thats the issue but even an extra 3 db from doubling the power doesn't seem like it'll get us there.

I'm hoping he gains a little output after it breaks in a litte but we are kind of baffled. He previously had a RE 15" XXX (the later long basket kind) in a sealed box running off only a 1000 watt hifonics amp that slammed in the same car. Dumped all over this new setup.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Yeah, not enough power for that thing. His electrical won't support m3c, so even if he gets more power, it won't be better. Once he does have the electrical to support it, if you switched from the sundown 2k to the m3c, the difference will be night and day. The sub will hit harder and cleaner. Keep in mind, this is not a "blow everyone out of the water" sub and from what I've heard, it takes a good amount of power to get it going. He's spent money on a sub, box, amp, all amounts to nothing if he's cheaping out on the electrical. Bigger alt, another batt, bigger amp.

Thanks, I figured that was a big part of his issue.

He doesn't want to get an upgraded alternator. He does have a second battery in the back though, about a 110AH battery.

Since his previous setup was waaaaay louder on less power and in sealed with the same electrical I think a different 15 that likes the box he already has would be his cheapest option. He can sell the fi to pay for the other sub.

I know usually changing subs to get louder is not what's recommended around here but I think this time it'll work for him(since alternator upgrade is out and box is good). He got a sub that was too beefy for him to power correctly.

Like I said in the first post I think he jumped the gun when he ordered the fi.

Any sub you guys think would do work on the sundown 2k in 5 cu tuned to 34hz (or 30 with the extension stang built)

Thanks, I figured that was a big part of his issue. He doesn't want to get an upgraded alternator.

Since his previous setup was waaaaay louder on less power and sealed with the same electrical I think a different 15 that likes the box he already has would be his cheapest option.

I know usually changing subs to get louder is not what's recommended around here but I think this time it'll work for him(since alternator upgrade is out and box is good). He got a sub that was too beefy for him to power correctly.

Any sub you guys think would do work on the sundown 2k in 5 cu tuned to 34hz (or 30 with the extension stang built)

Cheapest thing is to research correctly before dumping the money. I'm not a fan of swapping stuff out on same power, but def look for a 3" coil.

Cheapest thing is to research correctly before dumping the money. I'm not a fan of swapping stuff out on same power, but def look for a 3" coil.
Yes that is usually my thing. Research then buy. Unfortunately he did not do that, hence why I am here.

Obviously it's cheapest to do it right the first time but like I said in the very first post he jumped the gun buying the fi. He saw it and had to have it without thinking about power or space.

I would've recommended something different for him in the first place but that's what he told me he bought and I'm just trying to help him make it work.

Now it hasn't worked and a recommendation on a different woofer would be appreciated. Thank you

Yes that is usually my thing. Research then buy. Unfortunately he did not do that, hence why I am here. Obviously it's cheapest to do it right the first time but like I said in the very first post he jumped the gun buying the fi. He saw it and had to have it without thinking about power or space.

I would've recommended something different for him in the first place but that's what he told me he bought and I'm just trying to help him make it work.

Now it hasn't worked and a recommendation on a different woofer would be appreciated. Thank you

I'll have to defer on this one. I'll let others chime in as there may be other factors I've not considered.

I'll have to defer on this one. I'll let others chime in as there may be other factors I've not considered.
Thanks, fly_marlin. I appreciate all the help you have given me so far and apologize if the last post seemed snappy.

I am just very frustrated as I spent a lot of time making sure his install was correct. Did the whole thing, replacing the mess the shop that did the old setup left behind.

Maybe ill just trade him for my ssa icon lol

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

For sure. We will try my sub in his box next time he comes over.

Hey, if it ends up being louder and he likes it maybe we'll make a trade. I should have plenty of power to push that thing. My box and port area might be a bit small though, but I can always build another box.

[quote name='hone']@Jeffdachef @csctang got any recommendations?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

SP4s are pretty **** inefficient from all the comps i've been to. Takes too much power to get any results vs other subs that get way louder on a lot less power and they sound better too. He'd want at least a 5k on that sp4 if he's only wiring to 1 ohm. Switch the sub up for a zcon 15 or almost any other 3 inch coil sub and he will get louder on that power.

For sure. We will try my sub in his box next time he comes over.
Hey, if it ends up being louder and he likes it maybe we'll make a trade. I should have plenty of power to push that thing. My box and port area might be a bit small though, but I can always build another box.

I was saying switch subs and boxes, don't take subs out. See what the subs can do at different power levels.

I was saying switch subs and boxes, don't take subs out. See what the subs can do at different power levels.
Ahh I see. Thanks. We can try his stuff in my car but no way my box would fit in his trunk. At least we can see what it'll do with a little more power

Well I talked to him this morning and he is now wanting to get his electrical right. It's going to cost him like $1400 between alternator and amp.

I'm thinking at this point it isn't worth it to do all that. It's just a daily driver, he doesn't compete. Should he cut his loses with the FI and grab a different sub or upgrade his electrical to get the fi moving?

I have a feeling we can get him where he wants to be with a higher sensitivity sub and about 1000 less dollars.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

hone

hone
hercules, ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
fly_marlin