13v 2nd bats?

rumple4skin
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
mo
i have a few old 13v batteries sitting around and exstra 4gauge wire and was wondering if its even worth the time and effort to run a 2nd bat when it will not be a bat that provides the current i need, and i have a stock 95 amp alt. im pushing a hifonics 2606(at 2ohm so 1700w rms) on two l7 12's(raited at 750 rmsw) eatherway i know i am not getting everything i can out of the amp but at the same time i dont need anymore but i notice from time to time my volts droping to 11.5 at the worst(while idleing for long periods) and was wondering if having the exstra bat will help me out at all or if i need to just get a 15v bat for in the back. if i can get away with the other 13v bat and upgrade the alty id kinda rather do that then just go buy a yellow top because it really is only at idle and when going all out will bass so i kinda think this alty will recharge the two bats fine and will also allow it to not loose those volts so fast while at idle, yet i have never done this and would like to have some input. thanks alot for you time and advice.

never heard of a 13v batt or 15v batt, its a 12v batt that floats around 12.5v, or if u get a good one its 13v
its a 12v bat just like a yellow top is a 14v bat a yellow top will sit at 15v allday tho and **** near any 12v will be at a min of 12.5 to 13.5. mine sits at 13v while driving my prob is at idle it will go as far as to drop down to 11.5v

its a 12v bat just like a yellow top is a 14v bat a yellow top will sit at 15v allday tho and **** near any 12v will be at a min of 12.5 to 13.5. mine sits at 13v while driving my prob is at idle it will go as far as to drop down to 11.5v
While driving the voltage you are seeing is your alternator's, not your battery's.

While driving the voltage you are seeing is your alternator's, not your battery's.
this makes no sence dude. the voltage is allways read off the bat, while driving its while the alty is putting out its max i understand what you are trying to say but you dont know what your talking about. if you want to respond to a post atleast have some advice man not just run your mouth about bs. a ho alt is great because it has a high output at idle.... or am i wrong? the point of having two bats is eather to get the voltage that your amp wants or to run your beats for long periods of time with the car off. my qustion was can i just use another 12v bat in the back and buy a ho alt that puts out around 200a at idel and let it just recharge two crappy bats before i go out and spend 200 on a yellow top to get the desired voltage for my amp (wich is 14.4v) and if that will prevent the prob i am having at this moment( droping to low 11v at long idle periods).

this makes no sence dude. the voltage is allways read off the bat, while driving its while the alty is putting out its max i understand what you are trying to say but you dont know what your talking about. if you want to respond to a post atleast have some advice man not just run your mouth about bs. a ho alt is great because it has a high output at idle.... or am i wrong? the point of having two bats is eather to get the voltage that your amp wants or to run your beats for long periods of time with the car off. my qustion was can i just use another 12v bat in the back and buy a ho alt that puts out around 200a at idel and let it just recharge two crappy bats before i go out and spend 200 on a yellow top to get the desired voltage for my amp (wich is 14.4v) and if that will prevent the prob i am having at this moment( droping to low 11v at long idle periods).
Don't be a dick to Rashad.

Don't be a dick to Rashad.
i have no idea who rashad is and i was not being a dick at all, all of you have post dumped over and over lol. i want input on what i said not bull **** about how i phrased the question

Well, you need batts with a high reserve capacity, generally they're more expensive either way. Buy an HO alt and the idle problems should cease.

Btw Rashaddd is who you were referring to earlier about alternators.

When the car is running and you measure voltage..it is the alternator you are reading. turn the engine off and then measure voltage. They should sit around 12-13v.

Well, you need batts with a high reserve capacity, generally they're more expensive either way. Buy an HO alt and the idle problems should cease.
right, so i can just use these bats i got sitting around and wire. go buy a ho alt and wait a few months to get my yellow top for the back right?

High output alternators don't do much at idle(depends) but most don't, so you're wrong again.

And why do you need 200a at idle? Are you one of those fegs who bump at the stoplight?

Rashad > you

When the car is running and you measure voltage..it is the alternator you are reading. turn the engine off and then measure voltage. They should sit around 12-13v.
i have a volt meter rigged into the car so i may moniter it at all times. you are not monitering the output of the alty,if you where you'd be able to see when it attempted to overcharge the bat and when it clicks off. a volt meter is reading volts off the bat. it will never go above 14v for a good reason...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.