'13 Escape Sub & Speaker Replacement Advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

xSomeguyx
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
SCS, Mi
So I got myself a '13 Escape, which I'm really happy with except for the fuel economy that it's not getting (22/30? more like 18/26 best case!), and that the so-called "premium" stereo isn't so premium. Needless to say that I expected the latter of the two, and there's actually something I can do about it!

My plan is to swap out the stock 6.5" components (no big deal), replace the factory amp (pretty easy), and swap the factory sub for an aftermarket using the same enclosure (seemingly impossible).

For the door speakers, I'm looking at either a set of Infinity Kappa 600.09CS (or maybe their replacement 60.11cs) or the Alpine SPR-60C. I'm leaning towards the Kappas, with a lower ohm rating, better range, and higher efficiency, but the components I had in my Impala were Alpine SPR-17S that I was pretty happy with. I'm shooting for the $100-150 price range (since I've got two sets to replace), but it looks like either should work fine. I feel like 75W (at 4ohm) will be enough for the Alpines, but the 100W (at 2ohm) will be a little more optimal for the Kappas, I think.

I've got a JL HD900/5 from my Impala build that I was going to use, but ended up grabbing a JL XD700/5 because of the power on the sub channel. Space will be ideal near the spare for the 700/5 anyway, and I'm sure it'll be enough power. My only problem at this point is figuring out what wires are what, since there doesn't seem to be any documentation, but that shouldn't take long. The only potential problem I've got on this one is that I'm keeping the stock head unit (at least for the time being) since it's actually decent and has some features I like (HD radio, far better Bluetooth integration than the Pioneer gear I've got), but the installed system is actually 5.1, and I'm not sure if the head unit is putting out 4, 4.1 or 5.1. I'm hoping that it just dumps out 4 or 4.1 and the amp mixes either the sub or center channel, that way I can just leave the center channel dead, but I'll worry about that later (any info anyone has would be greatly appreciate, as this one's a mystery for the time being).

The sub is where I'm running into a problem. I want to use the factory 8" box behind the driver's side panel in the trunk, since it's very well concealed and makes it extremely easy to haul crap around. It's a standard diameter 8 with a normal bolt pattern (cool). However, it's really shallow. REALLY shallow. Front to back it's 3.125", and the back of the magnet is not only touching the back of the enclosure, but there's also a BOLT going through the back of the enclosure and into the magnet. I'm assuming that it's for stability, but I figure that I can plug it easily enough. But that's a crazy shallow sub. A buddy suggested making a spacer, but there's only enough room in front of the sub for about 7/8" at MOST, and that's assuming that the cone won't push past the top of the basket (I doubt that'll be an issue). With 300W (at 2ohm) on the sub channel it should be pretty good for an 8", especially one that's in what's an open trunk (at most there's a pull-over cover that's very acoustically transparent), but I'm at a loss for a sub. The closest I managed to find is an Alpine SWR-843D that seems like it's the best case, except that it's about 3/4" too long. I can't find anything that's small enough, or can handle the power, or that doesn't look like hot garbage.

So here's the rundown of what I need:

1) Recommendations on the 6.5" components

2) Ideas for an 8" sub that'll fit in the factory location

3) Pinout for the factory Sony (Ford) amp, both in/out (this is a distant 3)

JL claims that they'll be making a Stealthbox for the Escape at some point, but my concern is that it'll blow my 100% factory look, plus that's a LOT of cash. I'm not someone talented enough to make a fiberglass enclosure, but if that's my only option I guess that's all I've got. Thanks for any ideas you guys might have!

cdt make an 8 inch driver that may work for you 3.69 mounting depth HD 800CF
Hmm.. I wonder if it would be loud enough? The JL amp does 300w@2ohm or 180w@4ohm (not stable at 1ohm) which would work for its 200W limit, but I was shooting for something at 2ohm that would be able to take the full 300w. The trunk in my Impala was well sealed, so bass didn't travel particularly well, but it was an Alpine 12" Type-R at 500w.

Regardless, thanks for the suggestion, it's the only thing I've seen so far that would actually fit!!

Hmm.. I wonder if it would be loud enough? The JL amp does 300w@2ohm or 180w@4ohm (not stable at 1ohm) which would work for its 200W limit, but I was shooting for something at 2ohm that would be able to take the full 300w. The trunk in my Impala was well sealed, so bass didn't travel particularly well, but it was an Alpine 12" Type-R at 500w.
Regardless, thanks for the suggestion, it's the only thing I've seen so far that would actually fit!!
i believe the sub comes in a d 4 option ,so you'll have 2 ohms

I have a BNIB set of Sundown Audio SA6.5CS Comps that would sound great in there. I can do them for $150 shipped. The are $200 from a dealer.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/speaker-classifieds/579089-bnib-sundown-sa6-5cs-comps-2-sets.html

I feel you on the Fords fuel economy also. I had a 2013 Ford C-Max that I actually bought these speakers for. It is their new hybrid that is advertised for 47 combined MPG but I was only getting about 34. There is already a couple class action lawsuits in place against Ford for some of their new MPG ratings. You might want to look into it and see if there is anything that you can get in on.

Also, your best bet is to tap into the audio feed behind the dash before it hits the Sony amp. That is where I tapped mine and just put in a simple line output converter. You will also have to disconnect the microphones for the noise cancellation system. Mine had a horrible frequency that it sent out at like 35Hz that my sub would pick up and sounded like crap.

Thanks for the offer on the comps, but I was looking for a matched pair and looks like you've already got one pair sold (and some pretty good interest in the other). I know there was a pretty big stink about the hybrids, but for the regular Ecoboost systems there doesn't seem to be anything I can get in on... yet. I'm still trying to figure out a way to file a complaint with the EPA, but their website isn't making it very easy.

Good to know on the noise cancellation, I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I figured I'd either get a set of female harnesses, or just splice off of the amp end of the wiring so I don't have to run any extra copper. Did you happen to make any notes on the color codes? Also, what's the 411 on the center channel in the front?

Any other ideas? I'm considering finding a slim 10" (there seems to be more of them available then slim 8"s) and having a buddy glass a box behind the panel in the trunk, though I'm sure that'd take some effort and cash.

In other news, I tested the XD700/D by hooking it up to a power supply, my desk speakers and my old 12".. and man, I forgot what it's like to have a legit system pounding.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.