12w7 disappointed

where did you get ur jl from??

if i were you i'd get online find out a place in ur area that sells them subs and take it to them to make sure wires are connected right and everything.... Also have them tune ur amp to ur sub....

i will say this....

that jlw7 plays what it gets, if u give it a crappy amp then it'll peform like crap.. that's one of the reasons why they made the 1000/1 jl amp... just so people would have to spend $$$$$ money on that too!!

and i'm not calling the JBL amp crap either! just saying that its not as good as the JL1000/1 (performance wise / not price)

JL amps also **** ALOT of power. Seen a 12W7 on a JL 1000/1 in a sound shop last week. MOFO ****** so much power lights in that shop and in the beauty shop next door, were dimming as the bass hit!!!!

J

i just wanna try to clear things up here before you guys get too far off the subject.

The reason the jbl has four sets of inputs is so that no matter where you head unit's fader is, you're supposed to get the same amount of bass......this little device is supposed to save coax speakers from being damaged while letting your sub play the same level no matter what.

As far as the sub playing louder with four rca's plugged in as opposed to two, that might be true, but you can achieve the same effect simply by raising the gain with only two plugged in. The gain is there for this purpose and this purpose only: To make sure your comfortable listening level matches up (UNCLIPPED!) with the input on the amp. For example (i'm gonna use figures from the new pioneer head units because that's what i have. they go up to volume 63), Plug your sub-out RCA's into the rear input on the 1200.1 and set your fader to 0F and 0R. Let's say you listen to your system at volume 30 most of the time, and the max you'd ever crank it up to would be 50. You should turn your stereo up to 50 with the gains all the way down, then slowly bring them up until you hear distortion. Now back it down slowly until there's no more audible distortion. Congrats...you just set your gains properly.

Now if you go plugging a second set of rca's in (effectively doubling the input power) you're going to have to do the same thing with the gains all over again......and i bet they'll be a lot lower before it starts distorting this time around. So you see, by plugging a second set of rca's in, you're not making the amp play any louder, you're just making it distort at a lower gain setting.

If you use the fader to balance your coax's, get two "1 female 2 male" rca y adapters and use them to split your sub line into four parts rather than puting two sets of rca's into the amp.

could my electrical system play a part in this problem too? What i mean is, can my amp not be going to full volume because of my 80 amp alt. My lights do not dim however when im in neutral my rpms goes up when the bass hits. Could this be there problem?

WHAT'S UP......

Sounds like you have a 3 ohm load on a 1ohm amp, so you're essentially only getting 400 watts rms to the driver and that's not enough. You need to present a 1ohm load to get the full 1200 watts rms. Sounds like the equipment isn't compatible.......sorry to bust your bubble......

actually my amp puts out over 1300 rms watts at 2 ohms. With the 3 ohm sub my amp has a 3ohm independence therefore puttin out over 900 rms watts which is plenty for the w7

Originally posted by shorty24sev actually my amp puts out over 1300 rms watts at 2 ohms. With the 3 ohm sub my amp has a 3ohm independence therefore puttin out over 900 rms watts which is plenty for the w7
it puts out 1200w @ 2 ohms

and the word you are looking for is impedance

rightt so anyways, could my electrical system play a part in this problem too? What i mean is, can my amp not be going to full volume because of my 80 amp alt. My lights do not dim however when im in neutral my rpms goes up when the bass hits. Could this be there problem?

rightt so anyways, could my electrical system play a part in this problem too? What i mean is, can my amp not be going to full volume because of my 80 amp alt. My lights do not dim however when im in neutral my rpms goes up when the bass hits. Could this be there problem?

well the jbl 1200.1 will draw max of 114amps of current @ 2ohms....i believe more at one ohm....so before recomending u upgrade your alt...find out how many amps your car draws in idle w/ stuff running and find out how many amps your amp is drawing as well...add them together...if they excede 80 i would recomend upgrading your alt

Now if you go plugging a second set of rca's in (effectively doubling the input power) you're going to have to do the same thing with the gains all over again......

if im not mistaken regardless of how many input rcas you use to send the signal the signal will be the same.....

have you tried switching the pos and neg on the sub? i hear a lot of people saying that if you change them, it may sound a little better. just a thought. but don't do it with the gains all the way up, i don't want to be responsible for it blowing, which i'm 99.9% sure it won't, but you can never be too careful. am i thinking wrong?

really? AS anyone ever tried that. Also, how much would a new alternator cost. I wannaa get a 200 amp one cuz im def gonna get an amp for my front components too. thanks for all the help

Originally posted by Goddyd4me [if im not mistaken regardless of how many input rcas you use to send the signal the signal will be the same.....
Nope....did a little test with this one myself. i took the sub output and the front output from my pioneer 6400 and plugged them both into their respective places on the JBL. it made it distort at volume 43 rather than 51 which is the spot i've set as the maximum undistorted volume with only the sub rca's going in.

if you think about it, it only makes sense. the front rca output is giving my front stage amp about 2.5v and the sub out is giving the sub amp about the same. plug them both in to the same amp and you're giving the amp 5v constant rather than 2.5v.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.