12" Fi Q's bottoming out?

Trepkos
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
2x 12" Fi Q's

4.0ft^3 Slot-Ported 32hz Box

AQ 2200d Powering them.

LPF(Not sure) and SSF(10hz) on the amplifier was maxed, because I'm controlling the subwoofer crossovers from the headunit which is a Kenwood KDC x991, crossed over at 50hz with a -12db/oct slope which only affects the higher frequency range.

I was playing some test tones and 30-39hz seems to be the peak output range but I thinking that I would still get decent output at 20-29hz range, while running that range there was lots of flexing and movement and rattling, it sounded personally that the subwoofers were bottoming out more-so than getting a clean low frequency sound.

Now the ported box is much louder than the previous sealed box I had the subwoofers in but I think they were able to hit the lower frequencies better.

Any explanation from the more educated bassheads on here?

they are bottoming out indeed:fyi:.. turn youre ssf up so it to 25-30hz or so that way it cuts youre power below tuning.... full power tones 10-15hz below tuning = bottoming out

i would try using the crossovers on the amp instead of the h/u and see what happens

bring the ssf up to 24 or 25 and raise the lpf up to around 70

they are bottoming out indeed:fyi:.. turn youre ssf up so it to 25-30hz or so that way it cuts youre power below tuning.... full power tones 10-15hz below tuning = bottoming out
x2 when u play below ur box's tuning the port becomes non effective and ur subs will play just as if they are in free air.(no box at all) be careful when playin below tuning. why would u wanna play that low anyway? most songs dont go below 30hz

Well there was a fair bit of rap songs that generally play lower than 30hz, this is purely going by ear and comparing to a test tone playlist on my Ipod in which I play music through.

30-39hz is the most ideal range and I can generally tell this in a song because my subwoofers hit the loudest and cleanest in this range. But some rap songs have notes that either hit in the 20-29hz range mainly because the notes are not as clean, its not as loud, and it sounds like its rattling more of the vehicle than actually producing the note. (If you can imagine this).

Originally I had the filters maxed on the amplifier because I could use the HU to manage the crossovers more easily, I also thought that when I set the SW x-over to 50hz or so with a -12db/octave that this went into the lower and higher frequencies from this point but it actually doesn't, the slope only affects the higher frequencies while the subsonic filter on the amplifier was set at 10hz.

I think Im just going to set my SSF higher to around 25hz or so. Not sure roughly where that would be on the knob.

You need to set your subsonic filter 2-3Hz below tuning of the port and no longer then that or you will break them...and that is not covered by warranty.

Well there was a fair bit of rap songs that generally play lower than 30hz, this is purely going by ear and comparing to a test tone playlist on my Ipod in which I play music through.
30-39hz is the most ideal range and I can generally tell this in a song because my subwoofers hit the loudest and cleanest in this range. But some rap songs have notes that either hit in the 20-29hz range mainly because the notes are not as clean, its not as loud, and it sounds like its rattling more of the vehicle than actually producing the note. (If you can imagine this).

Originally I had the filters maxed on the amplifier because I could use the HU to manage the crossovers more easily, I also thought that when I set the SW x-over to 50hz or so with a -12db/octave that this went into the lower and higher frequencies from this point but it actually doesn't, the slope only affects the higher frequencies while the subsonic filter on the amplifier was set at 10hz.

I think Im just going to set my SSF higher to around 25hz or so. Not sure roughly where that would be on the knob.
not many at all, unless you play C&S stuff. Get your settings right and/or quit playing that **** music otherwise you'll ruin 2 very nice subs...

burn some tones and set your filters that way if necessary and SSF is most critical to protect your subs.

I had now set the SSF to around 30hz, the dial goes from 10hz to 50hz and I turned it to roughly in the middle. By the way, thanks for all the help.

not many at all, unless you play C&S stuff. Get your settings right and/or quit playing that **** music otherwise you'll ruin 2 very nice subs...
burn some tones and set your filters that way if necessary and SSF is most critical to protect your subs.
I'll be honest, I don't listen to much hip hop music in the car UNLESS there are friends in there who basically just want to hear how loud the subwoofers can play.

Most of the time I have the subwoofer output on the HU set to 0 which gives me just enough bass to not ruin other genres of music.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Trepkos

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
Trepkos
Mississippi
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date