100w rms enough for SPR-177r

Participant count
  • Participant list

bjayjr5679
10+ year member

Father of Three
title is what it is. Is a mrp-f250 bridged enough for the type x's or should i get the mrp f450. I know the more power the better but the mrp-f250 will sit under my seat and i had the mrp-f450 but returned it because it would not fit (**** Honda pilot doesn't have many places to mount an amp).

Mrp-f250

200 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms

Mrp-f450

200 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms

Spx-177r

Power Handling Capacity (RMS): 75W

I am a firm believer in when a company gives an rms rating for a speaker , maybe you should stay within those limits.

I mean i wouldn't think you will notice the difference between 75 and a 100 watts per side.

I mean i wouldn't think you will notice the difference between 75 and a 100 watts per side.
Mids...not so much.

Tweeters...Hell Yes!

I guess it also is based on design of speakers. My Type-R mids can't handle much more than 90 watts RMS channel because the peak in the music extends the surround further than it can come back and repeat itself, basically mechanically it cannot do much more than rated RMS on a channel. There are a few set of mids that people claim love power past their RMS ratings, IE REV series, Crystals SSCS, Germaniums, etc... so as said, I believe it is all in materials and design.

But, I'm soon to get the rest of my Xenon setup...mmm... powah.

Thanks for the replies. Hey Frankensuby do you like your type r's and how is the sound off of them?

100 watts rms would be great, however mine seemed to enjoy a bit of extra power //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Ran my 177As off my Linear Power 2.2HV for about a year without any issues. While the 2.2HV is rated at 12.5 watts per channel, it's a bit of an understatement, I think the manual lists 225 per channel @ 4ohms on music, or something like that.

So yea, 100 watts would be good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I run mine at 75 watts precisely, does the job pretty **** well, but mine are the 5.25s.

My only complaint, is the sensitivity is absolutely ****, and I'm not sure if they were truly worth the price

I run mine at 75 watts precisely, does the job pretty **** well, but mine are the 5.25s. My only complaint, is the sensitivity is absolutely ****, and I'm not sure if they were truly worth the price

Depends on the install.

They are a bit on the inefficient side, but I threw gobs of power at them and they got plenty loud, mids had great midbass and could still play cleanly up high, the tweeters were crisp and not harsh at all.

However, I've talked to a few others who have owned them and said the midbass lacked a bit, but in my experience they were perfect, but then again the doors in my VW are rather robust in their stock form. Sealed tightly, with no access holes in the inner door panel, and a layer of sound deadener stock on the outer door.

If you haven't done so already, I suggest buying some sound deadener and closed cell foam, and seal up those doors. I did this, and it greatly improved the sound.

Just an idea //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been working on restoring an old dirtbike lately.

As for my Type-R's, I really feel like I should have gotten the Polk MMC6500's instead. I feel that when playing my type of music, the tweeter is hard to get to match the mids. What I mean is, when the midbass on a song is strong, it seems like the tweeters sound kind of like they are underwater, and when the song lacks midbass punch, the tweeters can be harsh. I've played with settings.

Another thing that I find a little annoying is the low level sound. It seems like the tweeters don't want to wake up until you really start pushing them, and then they scream. I just jumped from 65 RMS to 100 RMS on the front Type-R's, and the tweeters loved it, but the mids just can't keep up for some reason. I run my EQ at superbass, BUT, that is the only EQ, and I have an 80hz X-over on fronts and rears. The reason I have the EQ at superbass (Pioneer DEH6800 btw) is because when I try to play music loud on either Flat or Power EQ, the tweets get too loud before the midbass picks up to my levels.

The speakers are good speakers, and I've heard they love sealed doors, but the Subaru doors are like Swiss Cheese. Therefore it takes much more power to overcome cancellation and lack of pressure in door.

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been working on restoring an old dirtbike lately.
As for my Type-R's, I really feel like I should have gotten the Polk MMC6500's instead. I feel that when playing my type of music, the tweeter is hard to get to match the mids. What I mean is, when the midbass on a song is strong, it seems like the tweeters sound kind of like they are underwater, and when the song lacks midbass punch, the tweeters can be harsh. I've played with settings.

Another thing that I find a little annoying is the low level sound. It seems like the tweeters don't want to wake up until you really start pushing them, and then they scream. I just jumped from 65 RMS to 100 RMS on the front Type-R's, and the tweeters loved it, but the mids just can't keep up for some reason. I run my EQ at superbass, BUT, that is the only EQ, and I have an 80hz X-over on fronts and rears. The reason I have the EQ at superbass (Pioneer DEH6800 btw) is because when I try to play music loud on either Flat or Power EQ, the tweets get too loud before the midbass picks up to my levels.

The speakers are good speakers, and I've heard they love sealed doors, but the Subaru doors are like Swiss Cheese. Therefore it takes much more power to overcome cancellation and lack of pressure in door.

Does that Pio allow for a custom eq? Just an idea, but try setting the EQ to flat and turn on the loudness feature, it bumps the upper and lower frequencies equally. I always used it on my Nak CD400 and currently on my 880, then I use the 16 band eq to fine tune it slightly. I've found that the preset eqs from Pio aren't that great, a bit too over bearing in specific areas, at least for my tastes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.