10" speakers

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Replies 7
  • Views 755
U

Unregistered

Sup .. I just bought a new mazda protege 5... Just installed my pioneer deh-7400 mp3/cd deck.... it owns. Anyhow, I want to be able to get a clean loud and deep bass... I was told not to go with 12's as they are too distorted for what i want. I was also recommended to go with a sealed box over ported or bandpass.

I wanted to know your opinions on what 10" speakers are turnin heads... and what config would be ideal.. I was thinking either JL, Audiobahn or Rockford... in either a 2 or 3 speaker box...

Jonny Bogez

First off, what are you looking for in bass sound? Do you want a nice clean low end sound or do you want the all out boom? Tens can acheive either, but twelves can hit the lower notes better than most tens (this is just in general). If you want to turn heads then go with twelves. If you want a good clean sound primarily for your own listening enjoyment, then go with the tens. The whole thing about the twelves giving you more distortion is nonsence. Rockford subs have decent sound quality and good SPL. JL is a little more on the SQ side. Both would be an excellent choice. I won't comment on Audiobahns because I don't have any experience with them, but peoples opinions are split half and half about their quality and capabilities. Two ten inch JLW3's will give you a good balance of SQ and SPL. Best thing you can do is figure out what you want in a sub and go listen to them.

what i think would be g0od...

if you want great sq, and a g0od boom to go with it, i would say infinty, get 2 12z, datw ould be g0od, in a sealed box. Even better, my two cents.

if you want a badd asss b0om, then go with rockford, they have a wide range of subs with a wide price range, so u can find what ya looking for.

wut kind of music u listen to n e ways?

The real truth. JL Audio is your best bet on sub selection. There sound quality and performance are unmatched. Rockford can't touch that combination. As for the size, an 8inch to an 18in can sound great don't believe everything people tell you. If you buy a quality product it will sound good no matter what size it is as long as you compliment it with a good amp and the correct box. Bandpass is a dirty sound, sealed is your best bet, ported a good choice to but the sealed is your best bet.

My theory of the difference in speaker size (as well as shared by many other people)

8 inch woofer - Good precision but can't hit the lower bass notes

10 inch woofer - Good range of bass response plus maintains the precision needed in a SQ set up

12 inch woofer - Hits the low notes good and has decent SPL, but is a little slower than a 10 so there is some SQ lost.

15 and 18 inch woofer - Great for SPL, but so large and sluggish the bass notes are not as defined - not good for a SQ set up.

As the previous person said, the product is less important than the application.

ok......................follow these simple steps and youll be fine.

1. try n listen to as many setups utilising 10s and 12s - see what u like.

2. THERE ARE MUCH MORE CAPABLE PRODUCTS IN THE SQ AND SPL DEPARTMENT THAN JL - UNLESS U CAN AFFORD A W7 :mad: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif - hate JL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Look at the following if u r after a combination of SQ and SPL -

a - Eclipse DVCs

b - Crystal CMPx2

c - IDMax (my personal favourite)

d - OZ Audio LM Series (dunno if u can buy them anymore)

e - possibly W3s, but only as a last resort

my choice would either be 2 12inch eclipse DVCs or 2 IDMax, with a BIG amp powering the two, a nice BIG D class, like a Memphis Mojo or an MTX 8100D - a setup like that will scare the sh*t out of those JLW3 people................

Despite what the JL hater says they make the best products. I compete in IASCA and USAC and currently holding and spl level of 156 with two JLW3 12's, hit that with the crap in your ride.

Despite what the JL hater says they make the best products
well, possibly for the price...

you put up any JL sub against a diamond, and you'd find that it's just a league above it.

lol j/k, I haven't even heard many JL products, but I dont think they could stand up to diamond (price not going into the equation)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.