1 UL12 or 2 Morel Ultimo's

Won't porting the UL12 inrease db but it won't be as clean?

I can get the Ultimo's for 600 each. I don't care about the numbers but use it to just describe how loud I want it.

it depends on design, a box can be designed that will improve spl, but keep a flat response across the useable freq. range by keeping the ripple to a minimum, but that can also be tweeked via tuning also.

The poorer your install skills, the more critical it is you focus on getting the install right. The B grade installers are the ones with a better chance of getting it wrong if they dont.
We all get really excited about our brand names here (myself included... guilty) but in the end, doing a blind test, none of us could pick out which brand of subwoofer, amplifier or h/u we were listening to. But we'd know crap if we heard it, and yes you can make very good components sound crappy with a poor install.

Sure, research subs, audition as many as you can. Im not suggesting there is no ryme or reason to sub choice. But when it boils down to 2 top-notch drivers, at some point just pick which suits your needs and pocketbook best. If we could all chose no compromises with our budgets, this discussion would be quite different.
Mr. audio, once again you have flexed your knowledge to basicly a simple question, so are you saying that when someone takes driver A out of their box and insert driver b, and they pick up 2 db that there isn't a difference? Sure you'r e not, I know that. In a SQ setup, that I like anyway, it would be hard/impos.to tell 2 "quality"subs apart. So if I can find some idiot to buy all my CMass I should sell and replace with Funky Pups and Audiobahn and I "won't tell the difference". It would be same install? I could not tell you brand but I can tell a difference! Now the OP asked about 2 maybe 3 different subs that would "all" work great in proper install, for what he wants. which I believe was "SQ that he could turn up loud". Do you think he wants to battle your Mr. Biggs? I don't. You say don't worry about sub, work on install. Do you sell Audiobahn by the way? When actually the best situation would be to "focus on quality" from A-Z. He obviously can afford if he is looking at them, it should be easier to get 1 driver right than to get a pair or even a trio to work right. Hmmmmm! 1 UL or 1 Funky pup? Ah hell there ain't no difference! You are apparently educated beyond most people on this forums intelligence, remember that when doing your flexing. To OP: All subs you have listed will work for you, SQ will be good on all three, based on good install of course, But I promise if you buy the best you can afford, you will not regret it! Period

Mr. audio, once again you have flexed your knowledge to basicly a simple question, so are you saying that when someone takes driver A out of their box and insert driver b, and they pick up 2 db that there isn't a difference? Sure you'r e not, I know that. In a SQ setup, that I like anyway, it would be hard/impos.to tell 2 "quality"subs apart. So if I can find some idiot to buy all my CMass I should sell and replace with Funky Pups and Audiobahn and I "won't tell the difference". It would be same install? I could not tell you brand but I can tell a difference! Now the OP asked about 2 maybe 3 different subs that would "all" work great in proper install, for what he wants. which I believe was "SQ that he could turn up loud". Do you think he wants to battle your Mr. Biggs? I don't. You say don't worry about sub, work on install. Do you sell Audiobahn by the way? When actually the best situation would be to "focus on quality" from A-Z. He obviously can afford if he is looking at them, it should be easier to get 1 driver right than to get a pair or even a trio to work right. Hmmmmm! 1 UL or 1 Funky pup? Ah hell there ain't no difference! You are apparently educated beyond most people on this forums intelligence, remember that when doing your flexing. To OP: All subs you have listed will work for you, SQ will be good on all three, based on good install of course, But I promise if you buy the best you can afford, you will not regret it! Period
Is this thread comparing CMass to FunkyPups or Audiobahn? If you say yes, maybe you should ask yourself why your reading comprehension skills are so bad. (public education?) If you say no, maybe you should ask yourself why you are trying to interject a ridiculous comparison I never made, and implying that is my point. I guess I need to quote myself...

The point is, when comparing two elite speakers, the final performance differences will much more likely come down to install.
Sure, research subs, audition as many as you can. Im not suggesting there is no ryme or reason to sub choice. But when it boils down to 2 top-notch drivers, at some point just pick which suits your needs and pocketbook best.
Have a nice day.

This would be the qoute I am referring to:

If you are going for SQ, focus more on the install and less on exactly which brand/model to chose.
And then this part

The point is, when comparing two elite speakers, the final performance differences will much more likely come down to install. Do the great SQ competitors like Gary Biggs beat their heads against the wall trying to decide on just the right subwoofer for their competition setup? No, they are sponsored by various companies that, presumably, all (or most) offer some high quality driver to use. The competitor then builds an install suited for that driver (and that vehicle etc). This guy chosing the Morel over the UL's, or vice versa, is not gonna make or break his sound quality.
Nowhere did he say he wanted to slug it out with the SQ gods, He actually said the opposite!

I may never enter a cometition. It's for me and I want really good sq, but spl too.
So my question is how loud will one UL12 and Ultima get? The Morel tech support said 2 Ultimo's will hit over 145db.
No I am not competing at all, just want a really loud and clear system. Save money on concert tickets...
Is this thread comparing CMass to FunkyPups or Audiobahn? If you say yes, maybe you should ask yourself why your reading comprehension skills are so bad. (public education?) If you say no, maybe you should ask yourself why you are trying to interject a ridiculous comparison I never made, and implying that is my point. I guess I need to quote myself...

Have a nice day.
Yeah that was a little extreme but just making a point that equip choices make a difference weather you believe it or not. Now before you say " he said that after I said blah blah", You are correct. That is really my overall point of you demonstrating your knowledge, time and place. His original question was loud and clear and had nothing to do with competition. It was more Loud and clear than just clear. So don't question my comprehension skills! Now I never said you are incorrect with your facts so calm down, You are incorrect though if you think "best equip + best install" won't beat " good equip + best install ". Now this particular guy has some knowledge of car audio I believe and is aware of the benefit of good install. He wanted help choosing between a few great pieces of equipment probrably from someone who has used it before. You have a nice day also.

Thanks you guys for all your help... I am new at car audio and just gathering peoples experiences and knowledge, due diligence...Hahaha. I am not doing this install for anyone except for me and my girl (more for me) and I may let some of my friends in the back sometimes. Maybe I would enter a sq competition if one was in PDX just for fun, but i would be there to check out other peoples set-ups and hear them not for mine.

Now I am apprehensive about taking 1/3 of the back seat out and fab a box in its place.

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

I am more into 2" spacers under the seat and I think because of the Morels depth I can keep them stealth under the seat.

IMG_0352.jpg

Extend the box flush with the seat.

IMG_0351.jpg

Either (4) Ultimo 10's (5.52" deep) or 3 Ultimo 12's (5.78" deep). Even though the easiest in the (3) JL 13tw5-4 with no seat mod. There are so many factors but if I could get input as to what will be the best sq but will be loud and have a lot of low end bass. With these 3 subs which way you would fire them, etc...

I own a restaurant in Portland and I am laughing how this discussion took off about what is better, good equipment & best install or best equipment & good install, etc... reminds me back when I was a line cook and arguing with the waittresses saying customers would rather have good food and bad service than bad food and good service...

This would be the qoute I am referring to: And then this part

Nowhere did he say he wanted to slug it out with the SQ gods, He actually said the opposite!

Yeah that was a little extreme but just making a point that equip choices make a difference weather you believe it or not. Now before you say " he said that after I said blah blah", You are correct. That is really my overall point of you demonstrating your knowledge, time and place. His original question was loud and clear and had nothing to do with competition. It was more Loud and clear than just clear. So don't question my comprehension skills! Now I never said you are incorrect with your facts so calm down, You are incorrect though if you think "best equip + best install" won't beat " good equip + best install ". Now this particular guy has some knowledge of car audio I believe and is aware of the benefit of good install. He wanted help choosing between a few great pieces of equipment probrably from someone who has used it before. You have a nice day also.
Again, this thread is discussing the comparison of two high end drivers, hence my comments (spend more time on install than chosing the individual piece) refer to this situation. Not FunkyPups, not Abahn.
In a perfect world we all pick the perfect equipment and give it an A+ install. In the real world, this simply isn't the case the vast majority of the time. My original point was at some level of equipment comparison, the minute differences in performance between them will be miniscule as compared to what could be done (right or wrong) with the install.

My comments about the 'audio gods' simply was to show the point these guys winning, and dominating, are not doing it because they necessarily chose the right equipment (although solid equipment obviously is a must as well), but because they installed it correctly. I wish I could remember the name of the guy, but a SQ competitor a few years ago won some major SQ events using stock speakers in stock locations. Quite an eye opener if you think about it.

Im calm, it takes alot more than this to get under my skin. But, you completely misinterpreted my comments, and implied I have a hidden agenda. I do not sell Audiobahn, or any other equipment. If that was a joke, it wasn't very funny.

Do I sell Abahn? Im trying to 'flex' my knowledge here? I know a back-handed compliment when I see one. I would accept it, as everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it seems based off a complete misunderstanding of my words. This I find unacceptable.

Im calm, it takes alot more than this to get under my skin. But, you completely misinterpreted my comments, and implied I have a hidden agenda. I do not sell Audiobahn, or any other equipment. If that was a joke, it wasn't very funny.

Do I sell Abahn? Im trying to 'flex' my knowledge here? I know a back-handed compliment when I see one. I would accept it, as everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it seems based off a complete misunderstanding of my words. This I find unacceptable.
I kinda thought I would add a little humor to the situation and thought it was very funny myself. You obviously didn't and for that I sincerely apoligize. Not trying to be hard to get along with, just trying to separate the brilliance from the bull$hit. (talking about the forum in general, not you)

will be loud and have a lot of low end bass.
Looks like you have eliminated the UL, good thing, you ain't getting it under that seat. Good luck, you and your installer have your work cut out for ya' getting what I think you want out of that space. Don't give up though, it can be done IMO.

I decided to pull the back 1/3 seat behind the passenger and fab a box holding 2 UL12's powered by 2 Zapco 9.0's.

Seat that will be yanked:

IMG_0353.jpg

The setup:

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

I am stoked to hear this set-up...

Now dammit don't you suckas get on me but,how in the heLL can that much noise sound good?I have 1 10 and with my back seats folded down I can barely stand the music for 5 minutes,how can 1 listen to that much bass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.