1 UL12 or 2 Morel Ultimo's

skater
10+ year member

I am looking to trade my Zapco DC Ref 1100.1 and buy a Zapco C2K 9.0 w/ 2200w. My fronstage is done and looking to mostly focus on sq get above 140db+. Which setup: One Critical Mass powered by the 9.0 or 2 Morel Ultimos powered by the 9.0? Same price for the subs. It would be in a double cab truck firing down or to the back wall. Thanks.

Thanks kmanian. Have sent ally2dextreme a pm already, so am really interested. Will send one 2 2Critical.

I already have Morel Elate 3-way 9's in my doors and Elate 2-way 5's in kicks and 5" Elate in the center so was steering towards Morel. I guess only 200 12" Ultimo's sold in USA?

But have only read good things about UL12's. Would one UL12 with a Zapco 9.0 be enough if I don't want to kill my fronstage? Or 2 UL12's and a Zapco 4kw? But I would be broke and couldn't afford gas for my 5.7L Tundra... I do want to have it get really loud but very clear. Thanks.

But have only read good things about UL12's. Would one UL12 with a Zapco 9.0 be enough if I don't want to kill my fronstage? Or 2 UL12's and a Zapco 4kw? I do want to have it get really loud but very clear. Thanks.
1 UL 12 with 2200 rms is more than enough for Sq. I have two, and they are a little much for a lot of music I listen to. ( I like to have a little more "punch" in the bottom end, but nowhere near "boomin") I have 2500 rms on each of mine although the gains are set to nearly nothing for daily. So I say one would be plenty for you. Oh, and yes, 1 UL 12 would be the way I would go! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thanks 2critical. I am still undecided. 3 JL 13tw5-4 hidden under seat in Tundra, or pull a seat and fab a box with 1 UL12 firing back against wall or 2 Morel Ultimas firing forward for looks or back for sound.

By the way can you get a UL12? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Pm me please...

That's a great plan B, Plan A would be to focus on "BOTH"
The point is, when comparing two elite speakers, the final performance differences will much more likely come down to install. Do the great SQ competitors like Gary Biggs beat their heads against the wall trying to decide on just the right subwoofer for their competition setup? No, they are sponsored by various companies that, presumably, all (or most) offer some high quality driver to use. The competitor then builds an install suited for that driver (and that vehicle etc). This guy chosing the Morel over the UL's, or vice versa, is not gonna make or break his sound quality.

I will say that the great SQ competitors you speak of "do" take the time to select a good sub. You are not the only one that knows install is a/the big factor in final results. But not everyone is a class A installer, so with that said, "Buy the best and you won't ever regret it".

The poorer your install skills, the more critical it is you focus on getting the install right. The B grade installers are the ones with a better chance of getting it wrong if they dont.

We all get really excited about our brand names here (myself included... guilty) but in the end, doing a blind test, none of us could pick out which brand of subwoofer, amplifier or h/u we were listening to. But we'd know crap if we heard it, and yes you can make very good components sound crappy with a poor install.

Sure, research subs, audition as many as you can. Im not suggesting there is no ryme or reason to sub choice. But when it boils down to 2 top-notch drivers, at some point just pick which suits your needs and pocketbook best. If we could all chose no compromises with our budgets, this discussion would be quite different.

Thanks for all the input. My installer says it is 70% installation, and he can make any of the mentioned subs sound good. I guess I am just a pain, but I want to get it right because it is a lot of hard earned cash I have put out. I am not 100% wanting to have a perfect sq car that will make other peoples ears happy... I may never enter a cometition. It's for me and I want really good sq, but spl too.

We tried this and it loud but doesn't hit the lows.

IMG_0334.jpg

My fronstage is so awesome that now when I cruise down the street, I have a huge smile because I feel like I am at a live concert. Just right there... It's unreal.

The kickpanels with Elate 5 and tweets (the water drops another rainy day in Portland, OR)

IMG_0338-1.jpg

Tundras fit a 9" Elate woofer in the stock door panels //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

IMG_0335-1.jpg

I am wanting to have that option of turning a bass knob and just having it hit hard when I want to. He said there is no way I will get that with one UL12 or 2 Ultimo's because it is in a Tundra Double Cab and because of the cab I will never get over 135db with those choices. He was thinking of 4 JL 10w6's under the seat firing down. And no he isn't a JL authorized dealer, we just are kind of out of options.

So my question is how loud will one UL12 and Ultima get? The Morel tech support said 2 Ultimo's will hit over 145db.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.