1/2 collet for jasper perfect circle jig?

Why's everyone buy plunge / fixed base set-up's? Wouldnt a plunge with a locking feature be the same as a fixed base.. Just adjustable? Something i never really understood.

Why's everyone buy plunge / fixed base set-up's? Wouldnt a plunge with a locking feature be the same as a fixed base.. Just adjustable? Something i never really understood.
When I found it on ebay it was ~$150 and came with both bases. If I would have found the plunge only base with router motor for less I would have gone that route. I don't really see much of a point in the fixed base version, other than maybe some router tables with a built in lift work better with that style base.

how many passes do you guys usually make when cutting through 3/4 mdf?
for a circle I like to cut 1/4" at a time, so 3 passes.

Hmm, Beings im building a router table, I hope i dont run into that problem. Guess ill have to look at my mounting option's.

As for cutting holes, I usually hear to make 2 passes. Not sure how your circles would be off.. What circle jig do you use?

I would really not recommend cutting deep into MDF with a 1/4" bit. I have had many bits snap on me, and at 20-30k rpm they go FLYING. It is not safe to cut with such a small bit regardless of speed imo. If you want to be safe, don't cut deeper than the bit is wide. It will only take ~30 seconds more to make 2 quick shallow passes.

Like you said, If your circle is off then your guide pin is too loose, or the router base is not very solid. Possibly when you are plunging you may be tweaking or rocking the router a bit. Make sure everything is nice and tight. I have no difference in the location or diameter of the cut when cutting in steps.

I have the plunge base porter cable, I just turn it on without the bit touching wood, then plunge into the wood while slowly going in a circle. Once I have it ~1/4" deep I start going a bit faster and make my pass. I don't like to plunge straight down and leave it. The bit may want to chatter or walk if you aren't moving while plunging.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

on1wheel01

10+ year member
Bang A Lang
on1wheel01
Mooresville nc
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date