07 BMW 335i audio project

SharkOnLand
10+ year member

NJ/NY
Just as an intro(since this is my first post) I thought I might start a thread about my first car audio project. Im not trying to win any competitions but I want a nice system and will possibly be upgrading from time to time.

BTW I havent actually started the project yet, but decided to put up some info since I will be getting work started very soon.

Currently I have a 2007 BMW 335i coupe and although I have the premium audio system, frankly it ***** and I have always been a fan of a good setup that rocks.

Here is what I plan on adding:

Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.2 DSP Processor

x2 JL Audio 10w7 subs in trunk

X1 Rockford Fosgate T20001bd AMP

Custom sub enclosure to house the subs

FOCAL 165 v3e Polyglass speakers + Tweets up front

FOCAL 165 v1 Polyglass speakers + Tweets for back

Rockford fosgate T600-4 AMP to power them all

If you guys think I am doing something wrong, please let me know since I am not too familiar with the entire process to get the best out of my car.

I might change the underseat subs( they are 8" stock) and a pair of 8" earthquake subs to have a bit more bass in the cabin itself.

Also Instead of the RF T2000 amp, initially i was thinking about going with the new Hifonics XXV COLOSSUS 3200watt amp, but i figured that might be more of an overkill for the subs.

Overall I really want a nice sounding system that sounds better and clearer than stock at low levels and can be turned into a bass pumping machine once I turn up the knob. Will Post pics once near completion.

One more issue I was having, since I will not be doing the install myself, any ideas of what my system might end up costing me? Thanks

You know the equipment sounds alright. I would maybe look around for different subs unless you can get a deal on the W7's, I think you can get other subs a lot cheaper and still achieve the same goals. Check on FI Q's (FI is the brand and Q is the model). The focals will probly sound great. What are you gonna do as far as electrical upgrades?

I've been hearing great things about the Q's. Fi says that they are their SQ line of subs, but I've been seeing videos alot on line of people building up systems with their Q's as low end monsters. And I agree, you could most likely achieve exactly what you're looking for and still save a great deal of money over the JL's

I'm looking foward to this build

You guys sure are right about the JL's. They cost a whole lot of money. Initially I was thinking about going with some Diamond audio subs. Ive also heard great things about Fi and boston acoustic subs but havent really heard neither in person. I heard a pair of JL 10w6v2's and they sound really really nice. So I figured ehy not go with the W7's.

BTW i found a pair of JL 10w7's for 500. What do you guys think?

About the electrical, Im not sure what you mean but if you are talking about the wiring, Im going with Rockford installation kits, circuit breakers, wiring etc. for the entire setup.

By electrical its referring to any extra batteries, bigger alternator, and the big 3 wiring upgrade. Both those RF amps combined will be over 3kw which will do damage to your stock alternator or even battery. Alternator for that car might be hard to come by ( havn't checked ) but big 3 combined with extra large battery like a powermaster D3100 or something like a deka 9A31 would be a good start.

haha.. O that. Well stock my car comes with a bosch battery so I figured maybe a high power alternator might do the job. If not then I was thinking about going with a kinetic battery or maybe even an optima.

The guy at the shop told me the stock electrics on my car are pretty solid but who knows. Personally I doubt they will be able to handle that much power so an additional battery might be required. Anyone know any compact but powerful battery I might be able to use. I understand a BIG battery is suggested but I was trying to keep my car stock looking as possible and I figured I will be able to hide the smaller battery easier. You know how these stealerships get. They start to ***** over everything!!!

Kinetik or optima would be a good choice and they'll fit in the stock locations(depending on the model you get of course). Yah those beemers come with a 120A alternator which is pretty good, you could get the amp and put it in and if you need a bigger alternator then cross that road when you come to it.

You know the equipment sounds alright. I would maybe look around for different subs unless you can get a deal on the W7's, I think you can get other subs a lot cheaper and still achieve the same goals. Check on FI Q's (FI is the brand and Q is the model). The focals will probly sound great. What are you gonna do as far as electrical upgrades?

Fi Q is a great sub, however, wouldn't work in his application. He's going for two 10" W7's. Fi Q subs only come in 12", 15", and 18". If you had enough rear deck height, a single 15" over two 10's would be the same in cone area and you could hit those lows a lot harder. A single 15 would need a tad more internal volume though. Those two 10's would need about 2-3 cubes net and the 15 would need somewhere from 3-4.

Thanks for the great suggestions guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Actually in regards to the equipment, I have the 3sixty and about to place the order on the amps. The shop I was going to get the install done from would privide me witht he box, wires etc. I originally wanted to go with the jl w7's but man they cost so much and the guy who was selling the 2 for 500 has disappeared on me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif... O well

Im really feeling the fi q's. The site says the q is available from 12 and up but when I click on it, 10's are also available. What do you guys think. 10's or 12". I think I have enough space for either.

I just want really good sq but also for the sub to be able to bump like a 15 when needed. I know the q's will not bump that hard but I think in the 12 flavor, it might be enough. I was also checkin out the new Fi BL 2009 model and they are supposedly decent sq and with great spl but I wanted to do a sealed enclosure. The site doesn't recommend it. Any thoughts?? I figured I could go with 10's on the BL's which might make the sq better. Anyone heard the BL's in person??

o and I will definitely post pics when Im done with the install

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.