04 Cadillac CTS, what do I need?

BriIIance
10+ year member

I have an 04 Cadillac CTS (non Bose) and I want to upgrade. I currently have 2 Kicker 12" Solo Baric L7s in a box and a Kicker Kx3 crossover sitting in my garage I would like to use. I want to get 2 sets of Infinity Kappa 6.5" speakers or the front and back. What else do I need? I heard I need some sort of VW harness and obviously a new deck. What amp(s) would you recommend to power everything? Should I replace the tweeters as well? And what other random parts (cords, caps, terminal things?) would I need to get everything working?

Why would u need a VW part for a cadillac?..... And yes id replace the tweets and the factory sub out of the rear deck also.
I'm not sure, I thought someone told me it was a harness I needed. I was thinking infinity kappa sets in the front and the back and infinity kappa 1" tweeters run off a hifonics 4channel amp. if thats not the harness I need, which is? and what other parts would I need (aside from the receiver) to get everything running?

That model Cadillac, like most newer GM's, requires a very expensive harness adapter to install an aftermarket radio. Something to do with retaining the factory chimes. They're are a few different model harnesses you can use that fit, you just lose the factory chime. Most people opt to give up the factory chimes over paying $70 for a wiring harness.

That model Cadillac, like most newer GM's, requires a very expensive harness adapter to install an aftermarket radio. Something to do with retaining the factory chimes. They're are a few different model harnesses you can use that fit, you just lose the factory chime. Most people opt to give up the factory chimes over paying $70 for a wiring harness.
and if you don't opt for the $70 wiring harness, good luck hooking up the turn-on wire for your head unit.....i've had mine installed for almost 2 years and never bothered figuring that out, i just hooked it up to a constant 12V and turn the HU on and off manually.

what are chimes? and the expensive one is $70? I was reading and I thought it was $150 or something, I'm glad i asked.

What I need:

$70 Harness

2 pairs of 6.5

1 pair of 1" tweeter

Receiver

4 channel amp

what else? I really want to know every single thing I need so I can price it all and figure out how much I'm going to spend up front. I'm going to worry about the subs later, and just work on my highs for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
and if you don't opt for the $70 wiring harness, good luck hooking up the turn-on wire for your head unit.....i've had mine installed for almost 2 years and never bothered figuring that out, i just hooked it up to a constant 12V and turn the HU on and off manually.
It's not hard to by-pass the $70 harness, you just lose the chimes. I installed a Kenwood in my dad's '03 Silverado this way. I used 3M to connect the speaker wires to the factory harness, ran the ground directly to the chassis, & the 12v constant/switched to the fuse box. I used a pair of Littelfuse Add-A-Circuit Fuseholder for ATO/ATC Fuses 071-580 for the 12v wires, connecting the switched to the windows & the constant to the dome light.

The Kenwood functioned 100% normal, he saved $70, & it didn't hack up the factory harness/plug. When he sold the truck I just removed the taps from the harness, taped up the cuts they left, & plugged the factory unit back in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.