If you are planning on buying some bookshelf speakers for under $150

No problem. I just snagged 3 more pairs. Going to get an electric piano soon and will need to get a set of speakers to go along with it. Unlike most digital piano makers, they don't really realize that pianos range from ~4200hz to below 30hz, so they give you these tinny ass speakers which don't do their product justice. A set of these bad boys with my sub on a switched mode on my receiver and I'll be rockin.

No problem. I just snagged 3 more pairs. Going to get an electric piano soon and will need to get a set of speakers to go along with it. Unlike most digital piano makers, they don't really realize that pianos range from ~4200hz to below 30hz, so they give you these tinny ass speakers which don't do their product justice. A set of these bad boys with my sub on a switched mode on my receiver and I'll be rockin.
PE is apparently sending out promo codes around now (I don't ever remember them doing this?). Not sure if it's based on a prior purchase or something, but you may want to check your email before you order any more.

Then don't, and buy these:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-652

Trust me, do it. They're $25 dollars which is less than a fraction of what I would spend on a single crossover in one of my DIY speakers and they are just outstanding. We're not talking world class sound quality obviously, but they are exceptionally good. Trust me on this one: if you want a good set of bookshelf speakers, these are the best out there for the money.
thanks man, I was looking for a cheaper pair of bookshelves to buy for either my surrounds, or for a 2.1 setup with a polk psw110.. I was looking at the polk tsi100s aka ( monitor 30s ) but they are about $200 for the tsis at BB and $90 for the monitors @ newegg.. Then I saw Best buy had some polk T15 bookshelves for $55 ( here ) And they were on display right next to the tsi100s.. I listened to the tsi s first, then the T15 .. and wow, even for a computer or surround , I would never buy the T15s, they sound terrible, .

In comparison switching back and forth the tsi were very warm and full , with a good mid and tweet, the T15s were just hollow and sounded weak, with nothing behind them.. NOT even worth the $55 @ half price..

And I have heard about these before to, but its nice to get a good feedback from a member who knows what actually is good and not some putts consumer who has no idea what good sq is.. I think im gonna order these now, thanks for the heads up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

That's because the T15 is only ported to try and get a bit more bass response, when the cabinet is far too small for that driver to be ported. All that the port is probably doing is raising the enclosure resonance and giving it a HUGE peak in impedance at higher than wanted frequencies, which is likely causing the weakness. Either that or they crossed the speakers over near the end of their frequency response ranges which causes a null when listening on axis (cheap 1st order butterworth x-over). A 2nd order linkwitz-riley would probably have helped, but the enclosure should just be sealed anyway. What they should have done is to put a zobel network in there with it since they're going to be crossing that midrange over pretty high up there since I would be surprised if that tweeter could even yawn below 3000hz but then the high frequencies out of that mid would start beaming and it'd still sound like ****. OR I could be wrong and they're crossing the tweeter over too low which is causing a gap in the midrange in which a series notch filter might help to bring up the output to a smoother level instead of a huge dip then a spike. I could just be wrong on all counts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I'm sorry if this doens't make logical sense, I think out loud all the time. I'm just typing out loud //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I needed some 15" grills anyway, and Ive been eyeing a set of those speakers. You cant even get 2 decent mids for that price, much less enclosures, mids, tweeters, and crossovers.

Just ordered a set. Dont know what Ill use them for though.

I needed some 15" grills anyway, and Ive been eyeing a set of those speakers. You cant even get 2 decent mids for that price, much less enclosures, mids, tweeters, and crossovers.
Just ordered a set. Dont know what Ill use them for though.
With the exception of two (Dayton classic and Hi-Vi SD1), you can't get a hi-fi tweeter for under 25. That's one tweeter I mean.

That's because the T15 is only ported to try and get a bit more bass response, when the cabinet is far too small for that driver to be ported. All that the port is probably doing is raising the enclosure resonance and giving it a HUGE peak in impedance at higher than wanted frequencies, which is likely causing the weakness. Either that or they crossed the speakers over near the end of their frequency response ranges which causes a null when listening on axis (cheap 1st order butterworth x-over). A 2nd order linkwitz-riley would probably have helped, but the enclosure should just be sealed anyway. What they should have done is to put a zobel network in there with it since they're going to be crossing that midrange over pretty high up there since I would be surprised if that tweeter could even yawn below 3000hz. OR I could be wrong and they're crossing the tweeter over too low which is causing a gap in the midrange in which a series notch filter might help to bring up the output to a smoother level instead of a huge dip then a spike.
I'm sorry if this doens't make logical sense, I think out loud all the time. I'm just typing out loud //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

No It does make complete sense.. The enclosure , was the first thing that came to mind considering the tsi100s are ( i believe ) the same 5 1/4.. But yea the difference was pretty extreme.. Crossover points .. I dunno man, the T15 is all kinds of f@cked up the tweetes seemed to have 1 frequency 10khz and empty.. But enough about them, im sure a better cabinet would help , but it doesnt matter

How do those PE bookshelves sound? any comparisons? I have them in my cart right now, and am trying to find something else i want or need for $24 , in order to get free shipping ( otherwise its like $14 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif ) I need a new jasper jig but there not on sale and like $40... hmmm what can i find....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

No It does make complete sense.. The enclosure , was the first thing that came to mind considering the tsi100s are ( i believe ) the same 5 1/4.. But yea the difference was pretty extreme.. Crossover points .. I dunno man, the T15 is all kinds of f@cked up the tweetes seemed to have 1 frequency 10khz and empty.. But enough about them, im sure a better cabinet would help , but it doesnt matter
How do those PE bookshelves sound? any comparisons? I have them in my cart right now, and am trying to find something else i want or need for $24 , in order to get free shipping ( otherwise its like $14 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif ) I need a new jasper jig but there not on sale and like $40... hmmm what can i find....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
just scroll all the way up and click "Clearance Center" in the top left...**** is hella cheap in there (hence the 6ft ethernet cables for 75 cents)

Get some speaker wire, 100ft of 18 gauge for less than 10 bucks!

I was tempted to buy a pair of these as surround sound speakers but they are just too large for my liking. Oh well. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I may snag a couple of pairs and run in the hatch area of my Focus.......

not //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
why not //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif:confused:

its original, im sure you could pull off a 130 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

I have a ton of connecters and a full roll of Jl audio 12 awg... I think the only thing i need is a **** jasper jig... And a 1000 watt plate amp.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

whats the usual sale price on the jigs? there at $38 now

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.