Sign in to follow this  
Tom Ferguson

What is required to power 2x900w Subwoofers

Hi,

I had an EDGE 1800w Subwoofer with built in amplifier only recently the amp died (Completely burnt out multiple components as it went on fire....oops)

I managed to salvage the 2x900w Subs and tested them to check they were still working (They are :D)

Only issue now is I need a new amplifier and I am unsure what is required to actually power these, I know I need at least an 1800w amp to fully utilize the subwoofers but I heard about amps only outputting a certain amount to each speaker (2000w over 4 channels meaning only 500w per speaker). 

I have seen some other posts about 2 channel and 4 channel amps but am unsure the difference between them (4 channel appears to be cheaper and I am on a budget)

Any help on which type of amp I should get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Tom Ferguson said:

Hi,

I had an EDGE 1800w Subwoofer with built in amplifier only recently the amp died (Completely burnt out multiple components as it went on fire....oops)

I managed to salvage the 2x900w Subs and tested them to check they were still working (They are :D)

Only issue now is I need a new amplifier and I am unsure what is required to actually power these, I know I need at least an 1800w amp to fully utilize the subwoofers but I heard about amps only outputting a certain amount to each speaker (2000w over 4 channels meaning only 500w per speaker). 

I have seen some other posts about 2 channel and 4 channel amps but am unsure the difference between them (4 channel appears to be cheaper and I am on a budget)

Any help on which type of amp I should get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

those edge subwoofers do not handle 1800 watts, which is leading to my next statement, what is the exact model of the subs youre looking to run? I ask so that we can accurately give advice on what to power them with

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

I'd doubt that whatever subs they put in that would handle anywhere near 1800W, more likely 180 each?    You'll need to get into that box either way to access the terminals on the woofers and test their impedance.  Figure out the impedance, coil configuration, and post some pics of the arse ends of those woofers.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:01 PM, youdoofus said:

those edge subwoofers do not handle 1800 watts, which is leading to my next statement, what is the exact model of the subs youre looking to run? I ask so that we can accurately give advice on what to power them with

They are ED512A, 8Ohm. Says 900w on front and "Edge Street Series". One of the older models i think (Same speaker thats in this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edge-EDB12A-Active-Car-Speakers/dp/B0031HP8B0)

2 hours ago, Tom Ferguson said:

They are ED512A, 8Ohm. Says 900w on front and "Edge Street Series". One of the older models i think (Same speaker thats in this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edge-EDB12A-Active-Car-Speakers/dp/B0031HP8B0)

you have 2 of those?

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

4 minutes ago, Tom Ferguson said:

I have 2 of those speakers yes, I got them from this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edge-Audio-Amplified-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B007MA7BLM

But the older model of that.

ok, sorry for all the questions, but i want to make sure which amp would work best for you if you intend on keeping these woofers. They look like theyre 8 ohm each, and if thats the case, youre going to be best getting a fairly beefy 2 channel amp, running them in parallel making them 4 ohms before the amp, then bridging a 2 channel amp to get the final load of 2 ohms. you could do well with this guy https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/orion-hcca-hcca-1200-2-2-channel-amplifier-1200-watts-rms.html

pretty expensive, but itll do the trick for the woofers you have

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

16 minutes ago, youdoofus said:

ok, sorry for all the questions, but i want to make sure which amp would work best for you if you intend on keeping these woofers. They look like theyre 8 ohm each, and if thats the case, youre going to be best getting a fairly beefy 2 channel amp, running them in parallel making them 4 ohms before the amp, then bridging a 2 channel amp to get the final load of 2 ohms. you could do well with this guy https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/orion-hcca-hcca-1200-2-2-channel-amplifier-1200-watts-rms.html

pretty expensive, but itll do the trick for the woofers you have

Yeah that's like 2 weeks wages for me so I'll not be able to afford that unfortunately.

If that's the kind of amp that would be required to run them does that mean the stock amp that came with it was likely not powering them much at all?? The whole unit new costs <$200 here and i was just looking to kinda resurrect it

23 minutes ago, Tom Ferguson said:

Yeah that's like 2 weeks wages for me so I'll not be able to afford that unfortunately.

If that's the kind of amp that would be required to run them does that mean the stock amp that came with it was likely not powering them much at all?? The whole unit new costs <$200 here and i was just looking to kinda resurrect it

youre in the UK, right? what does the used market look like over there? im in a small midwestern town in the middle of the USA and the local pawn shops here have some pretty awesome amps for reasonable prices quite frequently. Get yourself an older quality built 2 channel for those subs that can handle a 2 ohm load and you should be good.

what kind of brands do you often see over there? PPI? Orion? Earthquake? 

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

It says they are 300 watts RMS each and if that is the case and you need 600 watts RMS for both wired in parallel than an Infinity K-1000 rated for 700 in 4 ohms should do it and $180 from Crutchfield right now. The SoundQubed S1-1250 should also do it, on sale for just $150 right now. 

2014 Sienna 2-way active SQ system. SB Acoustics SB29RDCN Tweeters. Focal PS165V mid woofers. Pioneer D9500F 75 watts RMS x 4. Pioneer BHS 5800 HU. AudioControl EQX. 10” Alpine SWS sub in custom ported box tuned to 35 hz on JBL GTX 500.

2014 F-150 XL WT 2-way active budget SQ system. Tang Band 25-302SH 1" tweeters. Stock Ford 6x8 mid woofers. Pioneer D8604. JBL Club 5501. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP & FIX 86. Sundown SD3 10” sub ported/ 33Hz 1 cube.

2014 CX5 2-way active SQ system. Pioneer 1330 NIX HU. Peerless NE25VTS-04 1" tweeters. NVX XSP65 mid woofers. Pioneer PRS D4200F 75 WPC x 4. Infinity K1000. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP. Sundown SA 12” 1.8 cube/33Hz.

26 minutes ago, youdoofus said:

youre in the UK, right? what does the used market look like over there? im in a small midwestern town in the middle of the USA and the local pawn shops here have some pretty awesome amps for reasonable prices quite frequently. Get yourself an older quality built 2 channel for those subs that can handle a 2 ohm load and you should be good.

what kind of brands do you often see over there? PPI? Orion? Earthquake? 

The brands I can see here are like Fusion, Alpine, Auna, edge, JBL. I live in Northern Ireland (basically the part of Ireland that's in the UK) The used market in Ireland is crap only amps you can really find are 200w rms at $50. Also I have seen 0 2channel amps. They are all 4 channel or more.

Originally this is what i was looking at https://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/In-Car-Entertainment/Car-Amplifiers/AB0450-4-Channel-Car-Amplifier-2400W-PMPO-Racing-Design-4-0.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA0ajgBRA4EiwA9gFOR2Luhw2xNO8LL9IvSnOJ_yhQprL7ZxXmNXQql_OCvpmoX1u8DqY_GRoC6igQAvD_BwE

But i assume from what you have said that this is not suitable for my subs.

Edit: Auna also have a 2 channel one at 1200w max power for slightly more than that one

Edited by Tom Ferguson

44 minutes ago, Tom Ferguson said:

The brands I can see here are like Fusion, Alpine, Auna, edge, JBL. I live in Northern Ireland (basically the part of Ireland that's in the UK) The used market in Ireland is crap only amps you can really find are 200w rms at $50. Also I have seen 0 2channel amps. They are all 4 channel or more.

Originally this is what i was looking at https://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/In-Car-Entertainment/Car-Amplifiers/AB0450-4-Channel-Car-Amplifier-2400W-PMPO-Racing-Design-4-0.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA0ajgBRA4EiwA9gFOR2Luhw2xNO8LL9IvSnOJ_yhQprL7ZxXmNXQql_OCvpmoX1u8DqY_GRoC6igQAvD_BwE

But i assume from what you have said that this is not suitable for my subs.

Edit: Auna also have a 2 channel one at 1200w max power for slightly more than that one

do you mean this one?

https://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/In-Car-Entertainment/Car-Amplifiers/AB-250-2-Channel-Car-Amplifier-1200W-Bridgeable-2-0.html

also, holy ---- these guys lie about how many watts these things produce!!!!

Edited by youdoofus

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

5 minutes ago, youdoofus said:

do you mean this one?

https://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/In-Car-Entertainment/Car-Amplifiers/AB-250-2-Channel-Car-Amplifier-1200W-Bridgeable-2-0.html

also, holy ---- these guys lie about how many watts these things produce!!!!

Yeah that one,

these are a pretty popular brand here I have seen people pairing up 2x1000w (I assume max) rated auna subwoofers with their 4800w 6 channel one. https://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/?cl=details&amp;cnid=71369d618bed27e1db7dcc0931f14951&amp;anid=5d7ea9b6f21c7be6f7af9f7856f4132e&amp;varselid[0]=9f41f9f1c434718ae6e50ffba61152d0

This is kinda why im getting confused over what they actually require

4 minutes ago, Tom Ferguson said:

Yeah that one,

these are a pretty popular brand here I have seen people pairing up 2x1000w (I assume max) rated auna subwoofers with their 4800w 6 channel one. https://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/?cl=details&amp;cnid=71369d618bed27e1db7dcc0931f14951&amp;anid=5d7ea9b6f21c7be6f7af9f7856f4132e&amp;varselid[0]=9f41f9f1c434718ae6e50ffba61152d0

This is kinda why im getting confused over what they actually require

image_5531ba2d-aaa9-4b0e-9ff1-34acbb05ecok, so this is what an actual 2000 watt amp looks like inside. those amps are straight up lying about what they put out on their inflated numbers. that 2 channel says 90 watts by 2 in its product details 

this is a copy and paste from teh 2 channel amps specs

Top features

• 2-channel amplifier, 2 x 90W RMS - 1200W max performance
  • Adjustable low-pass filter
  • Polished racing chassis design with brushed metal
  • Bridgeable - Stereo / mono operation

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

1 minute ago, youdoofus said:

image_5531ba2d-aaa9-4b0e-9ff1-34acbb05ecok, so this is what an actual 2000 watt amp looks like inside. those amps are straight up lying about what they put out on their inflated numbers. that 2 channel says 90 watts by 2 in its product details 

this is a copy and paste from teh 2 channel amps specs

Top features

• 2-channel amplifier, 2 x 90W RMS - 1200W max performance
  • Adjustable low-pass filter
  • Polished racing chassis design with brushed metal
  • Bridgeable - Stereo / mono operation

So when looking for an amp to suit the subwoofer the two RMS values need to match (Or the amps needs to be higher)? 

I assume also that If  was to use a amp that had a lower RMS I would be stressing it too much as it is above RMS constantly resulting in the situation i ended up with the amp blowing up?

for some decent bass, youre going to want to find something that puts out a few hundred watts RMS. Those big numbers are severely inflated that they emblazoned across the front of the amps

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

10 minutes ago, Tom Ferguson said:

So when looking for an amp to suit the subwoofer the two RMS values need to match (Or the amps needs to be higher)? 

I assume also that If  was to use a amp that had a lower RMS I would be stressing it too much as it is above RMS constantly resulting in the situation i ended up with the amp blowing up?

not really, but you can blow the subs because of having the gains set too high to get more boom out of the amp. RMS is the actual power the amp is capable of putting out safely. can you get alphard audio where youre at?

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

10 minutes ago, youdoofus said:

not really, but you can blow the subs because of having the gains set too high to get more boom out of the amp. RMS is the actual power the amp is capable of putting out safely. can you get alphard audio where youre at?

Ah ok.

We dont have Alphard Audio themselves but they own Deaf Bounce in the UK i think https://deafbonce.com/uk/amplifiers/

Edit Deaf bounce don't have any products online and no store in Ireland so ignore that then.

Edit 2: found this which apparently is the same http://www.basshull.co.uk/product-category/car-amplifiers/

Edited by Tom Ferguson

28 minutes ago, Tom Ferguson said:

Ah ok.

We dont have Alphard Audio themselves but they own Deaf Bounce in the UK i think https://deafbonce.com/uk/amplifiers/

Edit Deaf bounce don't have any products online and no store in Ireland so ignore that then.

Edit 2: found this which apparently is the same http://www.basshull.co.uk/product-category/car-amplifiers/

ok, im at home and on a vpn, so im mirroring out of ireland (somewhere in ireland anyways LoL) and i found this https://deafbonce.com/uk/amplifiers/machete-ma-ogo1500-2d-sport

Im sure its probably expensive LoL but i dont see a price for it, but it would definitely work

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this