Bang for the buck.... Which 1 sub around 1000w RMS

wp7457

Getting back into the game after many years away from car audio. Unfamiliar with all of the current brands/reputations.

I just had to replace my alternator with a 130amp on a recent roadtrip and didn't have a choice to upgrade to a high-output, would prefer to not have to upgrade again so I think I want to stay at 1000w rms for the sub. Running 100w rms on the front comps (ID CTX65cs), still deciding on the amp for those.

Number of subs preferred: 1

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 15" or 18" [prefer sealed box]

Budget: $450 tops, preferably closer to $350

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): Zapco ST-1KDM (1000w rms @ 1 ohm.... not yet ordered, so taking other suggestions)

Space available (take measurements, do not guess): 2006 Toyota Highlander - I have the entire trunk available.

Goals: SQ, best bang for the buck sub. If I can get a $300 sub that is 90% of the quality of a $450 sub, that's what I want. Not trying to pay big for diminishing returns.

Listening habits: All music

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: Used to have an Fi Q 15"... all I really know to compare anything to. Looking at SSA, Sundown....

ssa has nice subs fs everyone that has them likes them., lot of stuff on sale now too.. orion xtr 1000 does more than rated and i'm sure twisted sounds 1k does too (since the 2.8k tested at 4k)...

Getting back into the game after many years away from car audio. Unfamiliar with all of the current brands/reputations.
I just had to replace my alternator with a 130amp on a recent roadtrip and didn't have a choice to upgrade to a high-output, would prefer to not have to upgrade again so I think I want to stay at 1000w rms for the sub. Running 100w rms on the front comps (ID CTX65cs), still deciding on the amp for those.

Number of subs preferred: 1

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 15" or 18" [prefer sealed box]

Budget: $450 tops, preferably closer to $350

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): Zapco ST-1KDM (1000w rms @ 1 ohm.... not yet ordered, so taking other suggestions)

Space available (take measurements, do not guess): 2006 Toyota Highlander - I have the entire trunk available.

Goals: SQ, best bang for the buck sub. If I can get a $300 sub that is 90% of the quality of a $450 sub, that's what I want. Not trying to pay big for diminishing returns.

Listening habits: All music

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: Used to have an Fi Q 15"... all I really know to compare anything to. Looking at SSA, Sundown....
If you want sealed then get two of these since they are optimized for sealed boxes. Most of everything else nowadays are optimized for ported configurations meaning you actually get more SQ going ported than sealed with most of the good woofers nowadays. Its just how they are made.

https://www.amazon.com/SWS-15D4-Alpine-4-Ohm-Type-S-Subwoofer/dp/B0081JFX8G

Okay, I didn't realize that about ported. I had a ported box before, custom made by a guy named Mobious on these boards. It was awesome, but I was thinking I would try and switch it up this time. Sounds like that's not the way to go, though. Any advice on ported?

Okay, I didn't realize that about ported. I had a ported box before, custom made by a guy named Mobious on these boards. It was awesome, but I was thinking I would try and switch it up this time. Sounds like that's not the way to go, though. Any advice on ported?
just shell out for a good design and build it yourself to save on costs. Or just download torres box calculator(google it) and play around with figures. Port per foot should be around 12-16 depending on power used just to start you off.

if u want ported sub u were right in the 1st place ssa subs are very loved.. lots of site have sales now ssa, soundqubed, fu audio

A ported...a properly ported enclosure will slam with a nice 15...IF you have the room for it. Check before you buy. I see and read so many peeps selling their subs because they don't got the room for it. Most 15's require about 3-5 cu ft. of airspace.

I just have a small 10” Alpine SWS in a 1 cubic foot box (net) and it sounds really good in my wife’s Sienna. It wont set any spl records but SQ it does very well for the money and my wife loves it. She went from a JL WXV2 10 ported on 200 watts RMS to the Alpine SWS 10 on 400 watts RMS and the difference is significant. I have a 12” SWS in a sealed box in my CX5 and it puts out more than enough quality bass for me on 500 watts RMS. I might try my SWS 12 in a ported box built to Alpine spec just because I’m impressed on how good that 10 sounds.

A ported...a properly ported enclosure will slam with a nice 15...IF you have the room for it. Check before you buy. I see and read so many peeps selling their subs because they don't got the room for it. Most 15's require about 3-5 cu ft. of airspace.
two 15s sealed is actually a decent compromise as well. Wont be as loud but still not far off. Main thing is it will be basically idiot proof with the box building and SQ should be there. With 5 cubes he can also do a triple 15 sealed setup vs a single 15. Even if its ported, cone area does do a lot to level the playing field.

I just have a small 10” Alpine SWS in a 1 cubic foot box (net) and it sounds really good in my wife’s Sienna. It wont set any spl records but SQ it does very well for the money and my wife loves it. She went from a JL WXV2 10 ported on 200 watts RMS to the Alpine SWS 10 on 400 watts RMS and the difference is significant. I have a 12” SWS in a sealed box in my CX5 and it puts out more than enough quality bass for me on 500 watts RMS. I might try my SWS 12 in a ported box built to Alpine spec just because I’m impressed on how good that 10 sounds.
I keep going back and forth with this sub or the rf p34d10.

SSA ICON would be on the lower end of your price range, runs well both ported and sealed, would run well on 1,000 watts, and is a superb product.

They just released the new revisions of the Zcon and Xcon but haven't quite released the new Icon model yet

I'll tag @denim and he can give you a better idea of when they will be released and maybe see if he has any of the old Icon models laying around

[quote name='mastershake575']SSA ICON would be on the lower end of your price range, runs well both ported and sealed, would run well on 1,000 watts, and is a superb product.

They just released the new revisions of the Zcon and Xcon but haven't quite released the new Icon model yet

I'll tag @denim and he can give you a better idea of when they will be released and maybe see if he has any of the old Icon models laying around[/QUOTE]

Sorry, been a bit slammed with the holiday sale. The Icon is still planned, just so much going on to know as to when it will be available. At this time, there are no old version Icon's hanging around.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.