need help filling gap in my setup...comps hpf 150hz---??--- sub lpf 60hz

maxmil982

I am running 2 kicker kss65 components 125rms a piece of a 2channels of a 4ch p900.4 precision power amp. These comps start to clip at high volume below 150hz with 125rms going to them. Then there's the sub I'm going with either a SA-12 or GCON in a ported box playing mostly hip hop, and SSA told me their subs only sound good playing below 60hz. So now I have a gap between where my hpf and lpf will be set.

I have a 2003 Acura tl with unused 6.5" slots in the rear doors and a stock 8" port in the rear deck. I also have two available channels on my amp

Amp specs:

• RMS Power: 145 watts x 4 @ 4 ohms, 225 watts x 4 @ 2 ohms*

• 450W RMS x 2 Channel @ 4 ohms Bridged

Any suggestions on what type of speaker to fill in my midbass, while still blending well with my components and sub?

Thanks in advance

the key to getting your mids playing low and not sounding horrible is all about installation. seal and deaden the doors and you'll be amazed what your speakers can do.

If it were me I'd just get some different doors speakers and run the lpf on the sub at 80 and the mids hpf at 65-70ish.keep it simple

Not saying that doesn't sound good in your system but having crossover overlap like that is the equivalent of having two different subs playing same notes.

Seal up the doors, fill the gap between the speaker and the door panel. Drop the filter to 80hz -12db
Those mids, which are already strained, need either a higher point or a steeper slope than that.

Mids need to be able to play down below 150Hz in a two-way. And why buy a sub that won't work for you? Find other options.

Thanx for the advice.

I'm still in the middle of finishing the install. I have both front comps in and running both only the driver side door panel put back on. I do notice that driver side speaker clips and crackles at a higher volume, playing lows, than the speaker without the door panel.

I'm a noob, but logically I was thinking the clipping ONLY comes from too much juice or dirty signal (or even bad connections, but all my connections are solid so ill disregard that) But my amp is very good quality, brand new, rated for the speaker and only at 70% gain. So I'm definitely leaning heavily toward what your saying. Rather than the speaker is defective or just not able to handle really more than half it's rated power when playing lows.

Am I right in assuming that sealing and deadening doors will allow this speaker to play louder, down to 80hz, without clipping?

Those mids, which are already strained, need either a higher point or a steeper slope than that.
Mids need to be able to play down below 150Hz in a two-way. And why buy a sub that won't work for you? Find other options.
I'm confused as too why these speakers are strained since they are not low quality speakers, they are rated for 125rms, they are running of a decent amp with matched rms and it's only at 70% gain, AND the volume is only at 70% before they start acting like they are gonna shred themselves.

But the reality is they are acting extremely strained and I'm having a hard time processing how sealing and deadening the door will totally change their bevaior that much...

I will seal and deaden though...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.