Quad bracket issues

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
Well, I got my DC Power quad bracket today.

IMG_20160128_170314_423_zpsnlzm3det.jpg

I ran into three issues.

1. They sent me the wrong directions with the kit. How does this happen??? They were only for dual bracket installation. I already have a copy of these directions from my dual bracket. They are not helpful at all. The quad bracket does not mount the same with the rear supports. Also, you have to attach the pulleys to the bracket. This may not seem like a big deal, but it took me a few minutes to figure out which length bolt went to which hole.

2. The bracket is not compatible with my Singer alternator cases. They don't mount flush to the bracket. The case heat sink's hit the inner edge of the bracket, leaving a quarter inch gap. I could put washers here, but then my pulleys would be offset. I don't have enough threads left on my alternator rotors to shim the pulleys out any further.

Here's the gap:

IMG_20160128_175756_719_zpsy06fqitd.jpg

The case hits here:

IMG_20160128_175819_417_zpsemkes672.jpg

3. There is also something in the way that prevents me from mounting the bottom alternator to the bracket. It has plugs and electrical wires coming out of it. I'm assuming that I need to re-locate it, and it says how to do this. Anyone know what it is in the picture or where I should relocate it??

Here's the mystery component:

IMG_20160128_175836_783_zpsefmhyofv.jpg

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y343/aulbrich16/IMG_20160128_181807_813_zpspq38epds.jpg

IMG_20160128_175846_670_zpswxwh22bw.jpg

I'm frustrated to say the least. I'll be contacting DC power shortly.

Here's a comparison of the dual to quad bracket:

IMG_20160128_174954_895_zpsiiayyzvk.jpg

IMG_20160128_174944_032_zpsxrdqhbbg.jpg

For now, I've just got the stock alt on and won't be playing my subs until I get this figured out.

IMG_20160128_181757_230_zpsqk8ym7in.jpg

Yep washers to fill the gap and relocate that box/wires if its in the way. I'm gunna pay Altimate automotive to install my quad bracket,lol they know what there doing.why would the alt be offset if you put washers? Can't you either put them in front or back to make up the room without changing the position of the alt pully?

how much metal are we talking about trimming to fit the case, and is it where there's a multitude of bolts going into the block or towards the outside where its only the bracket metal supporting the weight

im pretty sure those are electrical connection boxes @los33 might know

[quote name='Massive spl']Yep washers to fill the gap and relocate that box/wires if its in the way. I'm gunna pay Altimate automotive to install my quad bracket,lol they know what there doing.why would the alt be offset if you put washers? Can't you either put them in front or back to make up the room without changing the position of the alt pully?[/QUOTE]

Filling the gap with washers won't fix the issue. The case hits the bracket and forces the alternator backwards 1/4 inch. The pulleys are already at the end pf their threads. I can't shim them forwards any more than they already are. If I tried moving the actual bracket forwards with washers to make up for this, the belt would rub on the bracket. It was already close with my dual bracket. Regardless, the electrical box prevents me from mounting four alternators.

[quote name='mitchell0715']how much metal are we talking about trimming to fit the case, and is it where there's a multitude of bolts going into the block or towards the outside where its only the bracket metal supporting the weight

im pretty sure those are electrical connection boxes @los33 might know[/QUOTE]

1/4 inch of metal right in the middle of the bracket. I really don't want to grind on a brand new bracket that cost $685 :crap:

Yeah, I just don't know what the electrical is for or where I can move it. There isn't a lot of extra stock wire length.

You have to relocate the box. The alternator case should be fitting with no issues though, what kind of case does Singer use?
Do you know where else I can mount the electrical box out of the way? I don't know what kind of case they use. I didn't even think that would be an issue.

you get instructions yet? id assume its addressed in there and they didnt just mount the thing to a crate engine expecting it to fit in the truck. dc seems like theyd be on top of it

you get instructions yet? id assume its addressed in there and they didnt just mount the thing to a crate engine expecting it to fit in the truck. dc seems like theyd be on top of it
Haven't gotten instructions yet. I was assuming there would be a PDF on their website, but I didn't find one. I might have missed it, but I don't think I did. I've seen pictures of them installed in real trucks, so I don't know what the deal is. I just don't see any other place I can secure the computer to that's near by and out of the way.

I've decided to file down a little bit of the alternator cases to get them to fit against the bracket.

Haven't gotten instructions yet. I was assuming there would be a PDF on their website, but I didn't find one. I might have missed it, but I don't think I did. I've seen pictures of them installed in real trucks, so I don't know what the deal is. I just don't see any other place I can secure the computer to that's near by and out of the way.
I've decided to file down a little bit of the alternator cases to get them to fit against the bracket.
talk to dc before you do that they may know what the problem is

also, you cant mount the larger obtrusive alternator where the bracket doesnt hit and mount a smaller alternator in the limited spot?

talk to dc before you do that they may know what the problem is
also, you cant mount the larger obtrusive alternator where the bracket doesnt hit and mount a smaller alternator in the limited spot?
My plan is to mount the 320 small case on the bottom where space is limited. With the computer there, there still isn't enough room right now though.

DC's tech support forms aren't working for me right now, so I'll call them

Everyone I know with a quad bracket had to move the PCM slightly. I'm not sure where exactly they moved it though, I assume just enough to get it out of the way.

The bracket is probably made for DC alts since they custom make their own large cases.

If you know anyone with a quad bracket, could you ask them how/where they move it?

I didn't expect alternator cases to be an issue //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

They all have the same bolt hole pattern...

If you know anyone with a quad bracket, could you ask them how/where they move it?
I didn't expect alternator cases to be an issue //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

They all have the same bolt hole pattern...
Yea, same pattern but the case itself is a lot different. Not sure if you're on FB but there's an audio + Tahoe/Silverado specific group that you could ask this on

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.