Looking for suggestions on headunits for 04 Buick Lesabre

Participant count
  • Participant list

GerGa

USA
Hi,

My 2004 Buick Lesabre that I have had for a year has the stock Concert Sound II system in it. It has 2 speaks on rear deck, 2 in the doors and tweeters on the doors. It sounds OK but the headunit has many peaks and valleys just like the other similar cars Ive owned.

I mostly only use the aux in jack in my cars and play music via direct line out(not headphone out) of a high end mp3 player.

So I am looking for suggestions on a headunit to look at. I don't have plans to do anything but replace the headunit for now due to too many projects going on with this car, but speakers & amp not out of questions for further future. I was looking at the Kenwood BT312U digital media receiver, do you think it's any good? It doesn't have a CD player but I pretty much never will use a CD. I don't know too much about how the car audio manufacturers compare but heard Kenwood have pretty much a neutral sound.

I am into good sound, I have high quality studio monitor/equipment at my computer desk, but I am also not looking to spend a whole ton on my headunit either. Single or double dins are welcome.

Also, I definitely want a dial for volume control.

Any Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

PS. I have chosen all the adapters to keep steering wheel controls etc. just not sure on headunits. Crutchfield only has a very short list of headunits that fit my car but I know some people with fancy double dins in the same car so I'll have to check on dimensions of their's to compare with other units.

Be aware that nothing Pioneer makes will fit the dash opening of your Buick. Unless you don't mind that it sticks out the front by about 1/2". Pioneer decks are just too deep, and GM was stingy on the space behind the factory radio.

BTDT

Wow the Pioneer 80PRS looks like something I would use.

Should it work with the Axxess ASWC steering wheel interface? It's what people use on this car to maintain the volume, scan, band, source buttons on the steering wheel. How do I know those will work on this radio?

In this thread: THREAD

Someone put in a JVC KW-AV60bt in a Lesabre, and that receiver is 7-5/16" deep. The Pioneer 80PRS is 6-1/2" deep so should fit fine, I would think. The guy in that thread did say that he had to cut some piece of plastic out of the way to get the deck in.

Here's a pic of the empty dash of a Lesabre:

GUfqQFg.jpg

Wow the Pioneer 80PRS looks like something I would use. Should it work with the Axxess ASWC steering wheel interface? It's what people use on this car to maintain the volume, scan, band, source buttons on the steering wheel. How do I know those will work on this radio?

In this thread: THREAD

Someone put in a JVC KW-AV60bt in a Lesabre, and that receiver is 7-5/16" deep. The Pioneer 80PRS is 6-1/2" deep so should fit fine, I would think. The guy in that thread did say that he had to cut some piece of plastic out of the way to get the deck in.

Here's a pic of the empty dash of a Lesabre:
Pioneer specs say 6-1/2" but that's the chassis depth and doesn't include the RCA jacks and wiring connector. My Park Avenue has exactly 6-1/2" (that's the DIN spec), not a mm more. Crutchfield shows all Pioneer products as "does not fit" for this reason. The JVC double DIN that I used was listed as "modified fit", and I had to take a Dremmel to the plastic behind the radio.

Maybe the LeSabre is different.

With some cutting and grinding of the back of the radio housing in my dash, I got the radio to fit. Also took a little grinding of the dash kit to get the Pioneer DEH80PRS into that.

The question is now, how do I secure the radio and dash kit to the vehicle? I am not seeing what will work.

FkWjOmHl.jpg

KrUTtrP.jpg

Notice how my dash uses a clip in radio, which is oddly different from the picture of a Buick Lesabre dash in my previous post, which has a screw in radio.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.