Need help picking a new head unit, 2002 C240 MBZ

Participant count
  • Participant list

ddhoward

Hello~ Please be patient with me, as I know pretty much nothing about car audio systems, or even cars in general. Further, if this is not an appropriate forum or I've made some other sort of error, please let me know. I didn't see any stickied threads or anything that would indicate any guidelines for posting here.

I'm driving a 2002 C240 Mercedes, and I'm looking to replace the head unit that apparently came with the vehicle. I don't know how to go about looking for one that meets my desired specifications, however. I've found a few websites that let you pick make and model, and then spit out what they purport to be compatible, but how compatible are they really? My concern lies with the current unit's apparent integration into the rest of the car. I note three things:

1. I can control volume and skip tracks/change stations using buttons on the steering wheel.
  2. There is a weird-as-hell 6 CD changer in the glove box, which the head unit can access and play from.
  3. Least importantly, there is a little knob behind the wheel which is used to adjust brightness of pretty much everything that lights up on the interior of the vehicle (the display of the head unit included.)

Would I have to sacrifice these features were I to purchase a new head unit? The LED brightness changing I can live without, but the steering wheel buttons are really convenient. I don't think I'd be willing to part with their use in exchange for an 3.5mm audio port.

If necessary, I can provide pictures of my current head unit, the cd changer, and the steering wheel buttons. Thank you for your time~

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.