Supergauss discussion

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
I know the SMD's are the most common Supergauss subs, but how many types were made?

hqdefault.jpg

Only other ones I know of were Crossfire XSPL's

0819091614jpeg.jpg

20140712_092854_zpspvm393vw.jpg

This is obviously a hoax..

super1.jpg

Can anyone give me a good explanation of how they work? Basically just two coils connected to the same cone?

A while back, someone told me one coil pushed the assembly and one pulled, kind of like isobaric. That didn't really make sense to me though.

Here's what the coils look like, for those who don't know:

splitcoils.png

Wasn't the JBL a Neo motor too? I'm curious for explanation of how super gauss- differential drive works too.
I linked a white paper.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

I don't know how the coils are spaced, so I guess I can't comment on the dual motor subs. I would hope it's more than simply two motors with coils in the same place as they normally would be on both motors.

Those JBLs work VERY well. 800W RMS rated. There was a guy giving one 2000W, in IB no less, and still couldn't get it to bottom.

I'm not saying the JBL's aren't good, just that they aren't high-power like I'm interested in.

Someone said the dual spaced coils were better for SQ, and they could also pull about 50% more BL from the gap. Depends on the coils though, obviously. Not sure if gaps are tighter or looser with these kinds of setups

KHA the all-knowing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/graduate.gif.d982460be9f153bb54e5d4cb744f6ae8.gif

My go-to for SQ and Infinite Baffle questions!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.