How do I PROPERLY install sound deadener? 94 Ford Explorer

Should have got SDS as Fatmat is just a mass loader.

You will want to roll it on with a small wooden roller.

If it's cold where you are, a heat gun is going to be necessary.

The deadener has to conform to all the shapes it is being applied to. It has to become part of what it's being installed onto.

Good luck though as many mass loader(cheap style deadeners) deadeners do not play to well with gravity.

If it doesn't fall after 1 yr of installation, i'd be surprised.

Should have got SDS as Fatmat is just a mass loader.
You will want to roll it on with a small wooden roller.

If it's cold where you are, a heat gun is going to be necessary.

The deadener has to conform to all the shapes it is being applied to. It has to become part of what it's being installed onto.

Good luck though as many mass loader(cheap style deadeners) deadeners do not play to well with gravity.

If it doesn't fall after 1 yr of installation, i'd be surprised.
A little less bashing in threads a little more just answering the question will probably save you some bashing bud just a little constructive criticism.

A little less bashing in threads a little more just answering the question will probably save you some bashing bud just a little constructive criticism.
He's just speaking facts, fatmat is almost like peel and seal. It'll fall straight off in warmer weather and you need 2 full layers to even get proper results that a single sheet of deadener from another company can provide. You want a deadener thats both good in adhesive and has a strong aluminium sheet to brace the area along with lowering resonance.

A cheap deadener that works well as in you only need 1 layer instead of two is stinger roadkill. With fatmat, you are actually getting ripped off because lets say their 50 square feet pack for 100$, you are literally only getting 25 square feet of an inferior product that wont work well in all weather environments. I can say this because i've tried a small door pack of fatmat on a door of my old corolla. California summers aren't that hot but the fatmat fell off within a week and made a mess inside my door. I cleaned off the surfaces with alchohol and properly rolled everything on and it still fell off.

While lets say a pack of 36 square feet stinger roadkill costing 100$, I got way more midbass, sticks for months and is waaay beefier. One layer was stronger then two layers of fatmat.

You got to calculate things to be cost efficient.

I got way more midbass, sticks for months and is waaay beefier. .
This has me intrigued. Are you saying even good deadener only sticks for months?

I ask because I'm getting ready to deaden my Silverado, and plan on keeping it a few years.

I haven't bought anything yet, wanted to consult the forum once again. My budget for EVERYTHING I buy is oddly 60 dollars. 60 for JUST ENOUGH decent sound deaden material. Don't need 25ft. Just enough for effective door rattle suppression and to cover my hatchback (don't have much cargo space in my explorer my sub is a foot at best from my loose *** plastic hatchback) I have an inner and outter shell. Should I put one sheet on each shell? My window is also in the way of the inner shell am I going to have to remove if?

I NEED A VIDEO OF A FORD EXPLORER INSTALL LOL

This has me intrigued. Are you saying even good deadener only sticks for months?I ask because I'm getting ready to deaden my Silverado, and plan on keeping it a few years.
Other one i've used is audiotechnix 80 mill, that lasted for a few years, got a lil messy because they used excessive butyl but it stayed on. However they are not selling it anymore. Stinger roadkill feels a lot better then the audiotechnix in terms of build quality.

I'm saying months because it hasn't been a year yet since i've done my doors with the roadkill, but it survived a summer already, its showing no signs of even budging.

Other one i've used is audiotechnix, that lasted for a few years, got a lil messy because they used excessive butyl but it stayed on.
months because it hasn't been a year yet, but it survived a summer already, its showing no signs of even budging.
Gotcha. Thanks.

What's this "SDS" shizzon mentioned?

He's just speaking facts, fatmat is almost like peel and seal. It'll fall straight off in warmer weather and you need 2 full layers to even get proper results that a single sheet of deadener from another company can provide. You want a deadener thats both good in adhesive and has a strong aluminium sheet to brace the area along with lowering resonance.
A cheap deadener that works well as in you only need 1 layer instead of two is stinger roadkill. With fatmat, you are actually getting ripped off because lets say their 50 square feet pack for 100$, you are literally only getting 25 square feet of an inferior product that wont work well in all weather environments. I can say this because i've tried a small door pack of fatmat on a door of my old corolla. California summers aren't that hot but the fatmat fell off within a week and made a mess inside my door. I cleaned off the surfaces with alchohol and properly rolled everything on and it still fell off.

While lets say a pack of 36 square feet stinger roadkill costing 100$, I got way more midbass, sticks for months and is waaay beefier. One layer was stronger then two layers of fatmat.

You got to calculate things to be cost efficient.

New to the whole logic of sound deadening, didn't know I would be charged the same for a stretched out piece.of ****.

Gotcha. Thanks.What's this "SDS" shizzon mentioned?
Sound Deadener Showdown.

Don, the owner, is known as The Best in the industry when it comes to research and development.

I would choose his product in an instant.

If you are looking solely for an SPL point of view, i'd suggest Vibraflex as it's an anti-drumming mat.

Other one i've used is audiotechnix 80 mill, that lasted for a few years, got a lil messy because they used excessive butyl but it stayed on. However they are not selling it anymore. Stinger roadkill feels a lot better then the audiotechnix in terms of build quality.
I'm saying months because it hasn't been a year yet since i've done my doors with the roadkill, but it survived a summer already, its showing no signs of even budging.
Stinger RKO12 Car Audio Road Kill Universal Sound Damping - RKO12

How's this? In my budget that's always a plus //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Sound Deadener Showdown.
Don, the owner, is known as The Best in the industry when it comes to research and development.

If you are looking solely for an SPL point of view, i'd suggest Vibraflex as it's an anti-drumming mat.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Sound Deadener Showdown.

SQ for my midbass-highs. SPL on my substage.

Heh, that's not what i meant in reference to SPL.

You clearily do not want Vibraflex.

With SDS, you can use CLD tiles.

What's good about them is they never require 100% coverage so you do not need to purchase as much.

25-50% coverage is all that is necessary in most installs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.