Connecting to Can Bus

quills
10+ year member

Erie Pa
I'm installing a Kenwood DDX471HD into my 2014 Jeep Patriot. My only question is making the connections to the Can Bus. There are 2 connections I need to make that are near the OBDII scanner port. They are pretty easy to get to. I'm using an IDataLink Maestro interface with the Chrysler harness. I'm leaning toward using t-taps to make these 2 connections. I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks in advance for any help.

t-taps, HELL NO!!!!!!! either military splice with Super 33 electrical tape 2 zip ties on each or military splice with solder and super 33 electrical tape. the t in t tap stands for temporary. I see these fail all the time.

Definitely solder. I work on cars quite often where someone did a bad wiring job and ended up with a list of problems. The horrible wiring ended up resulting in high resistance on one of the most delicate circuits on the vehicle. The can or bus line is the circuit that all the vehicle modules communicate with.

I also recommend soldering with a flame type solder gun (and I don't mean open flame). If you use an electric soldering gun you run the risk of sending voltage to the can/bus line, which can cause some serious damage

Last edited by a moderator:
I also recommend soldering with a flame type solder gun (and I don't mean open flame). If you use an electric soldering gun you run the risk of sending voltage to the can/bus line, which can cause some serious damage
I can understand the potential risk of using a mains powered soldering station, but the same risk is present regardless of what you're soldering. Any soldering station worth owning is electrically isolated to prevent ESD. That means Weller, Haako, no Harbor Freight crap. Adjustable temperature is a must.

I figured the average guy might not own a good soldering setup such as those, and probably wouldn't even think about that. I just figured I should let him know before he created a lot of problems just by not knowing.

I'm installing a Kenwood DDX471HD into my 2014 Jeep Patriot. My only question is making the connections to the Can Bus. There are 2 connections I need to make that are near the OBDII scanner port. They are pretty easy to get to. I'm using an IDataLink Maestro interface with the Chrysler harness. I'm leaning toward using t-taps to make these 2 connections. I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks in advance for any help.
Those connections are note required for your radio. Maestro only needs those connections when you install it with a serially connected radio. In your case, that would be a Kenwood DNN, DNX radio from 2013 or 2014 model years or a DDX from 2014 model year with 4 digit part number such as DDX5901HD.

Your radio cannot display anything from the OBDII port.

Cheers,

12V Guy

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.