jl 1000 shuts down

Participant count
  • Participant list
hey guys first post here hopefully i can eventually help someone.

anyways im running a recently bought used w7 13 with a jl 1000/1, my problem is it was working great but i finally blew the foam surround, i replaced it with a new one now when ever i put the sub under load the amp shuts off and reads low voltage, now im running a 4g power and ground but some cheaper rcas, i originally did not have a cap but when this first happened i got one to see if that would correct it but it did not. all my connections are good. anyone have any ideas thanks in advance

Check the ground for the amp. Has to be clean metal right to the body of the car... You might have to experiment if your car is a unibody.

If you were running the sub hard enough to tear the surround, I would suspect that the coil may be burned also. I had a Diamond D3 that was on it's way out and would overheat/shut down my amp until it finally quit.

An easy test is to pull the sub out of the box and smell it... If it smells burnt that is more than likely the issue. You can hook a multimeter to the voice coils and check the resistance or have a shop do it for you.

thank you for the replies.

i actually did smell it and it smells fine no burning, i did also test each coil hooking them up individually and seemed fine but i am still going to hook the multimeter to them though just to make sure

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.