Subwoofer bottoming out easy?

Jleff8621
10+ year member

I have one alpine type r 10d2 hooked up to an alpine mrx m100. This amp is 1000 rms and the sub is suppossed to be able to handle that. But i have the gain set to just above halfway an when i turn up the volume of the headunit to 36-37 (goes to 50) and itll just bottom out. Im pretty sure all the wires and all that are ran rightt. What could be causing this or is that really all the sub can take? And also i put this against a rockford p3 12 and the rockford just completely blew mine out of the water.. And everybody said the 10d2 could hang with a p3.. What is going on? What do i need to do?

I have one alpine type r 10d2 hooked up to an alpine mrx m100. This amp is 1000 rms and the sub is suppossed to be able to handle that. But i have the gain set to just above halfway an when i turn up the volume of the headunit to 36-37 (goes to 50) and itll just bottom out. Im pretty sure all the wires and all that are ran rightt. What could be causing this or is that really all the sub can take? And also i put this against a rockford p3 12 and the rockford just completely blew mine out of the water.. And everybody said the 10d2 could hang with a p3.. What is going on? What do i need to do?
although they can "handle 1000rms", people generally run into issues on 1000rms for a type R, the new ones too.

box is dependent as well. if it is sealed or a badly designed ported box, it can easily bottom out. also what frequencies is ti bottoming out? if its too low below tuning that is common for lack of backpressure.

Lastly, typically 75% of max volume is close to max RCA voltage before clipping, and the amp gain almost never needs to be past 1/3 unless you have 2V rca outputs..

so your amp is sending max rms power as it is.

How do you have it wired? With that amp, you can't wire your sub to get 1000 watts out of it. The MRX-M100 will do either 600X1 @ 4 ohms or 500X1 @ 1 ohm. What kind of box are you using?

Also, you're trying to compare what you've got to someone else who has almost 50% more cone area. That will make a pretty good difference by itself, everything else being the same. That being said, I'm guessing you're clipping the heck out of your amp.

Its in a sealed .85 box. And i mean Dont get me wrong the sub sounds amazing. It hits hard and its pretty **** loud for one ten. If it sounds good could it still be clipping? If so what should i do?

Its in a sealed .85 box. And i mean Dont get me wrong the sub sounds amazing. It hits hard and its pretty **** loud for one ten. If it sounds good could it still be clipping? If so what should i do?
I would say it is not clipping.

Just because a sub can take 1krms does not mean it will need it to reach xmax.

Sealed boxes require a high amount of excursion to produce lower frequencies.

You have just reached the xmax of the driver at a lower power level.

I did the same with a sdc2.5 in a sealed box.

It should be pretty hard to bottom out the (1000watt) Type-R in a sealed box. If you send 1000watts, according to WinISD's excursion graph, the one-way excursion reaches xmax at 20Hz, and you should realize that the voice coil probably has more excursion beyond the xmax. To bottom out the subwoofer, the excursion has to go way past xmax, and then hit the back plate. This is _very_ hard with a 12 inch subwoofer in a compact box.

I suspect the issue is with the amplifier. I bet the signal is being clipped. The m500 is not really meant to power a subwoofer wired for 1ohm. (It is designed internally as a 2channel amplifier bridged). You can wire the sub for 4ohm, you you won't get the most out of the amplifier this way. I suggest to set gain position with DMM and also trade the subwoofer for a D4 model so you can wire it for 2ohm impedance (or trade the amplifier).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.