iPhone 5 Thought

jsampsell
10+ year member

Music and Electronics Nut
I have read through the various iPhone 5 related threads/posts here and still wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on a thought I just had. I know there are plenty of members that just can't stand Apple and/or the iFamily and some of those people apparently feel like they must bash Apple at any mention of it. So, I will politely request that all of the Android Fans/Apple Haters keep to themselves here and let us Apple freaks have a decent discussion. I mean no disrespect to Android fans as I've owned an EVO for two years myself.

My thought: I wonder if it is possible to use a combination of the following two products to get digital audio into my Pioneer AVH-P8400BH.

Product #1 is Apple's own Lightning Digital AV Adapter that provides digital audio and video out over HDMI.

Product #2 is Cable Matters' Gold Plated Premium USB 2.0 to HDMI Audio Video Adapter which provides digital video and audio out via USB. This is designed to be a monitor duplicator without having an additional video card.

In theory, since the connection chain is fully digital, it seems like the signal going into the USB input on the back of the 8400 would be able to be read. What I don't know is whether or not a driver of some sort is necessary for the Cable Matters adapter to work appropriately. I guess it depends on what kind of USB standard it uses? Admittedly, this is beyond me technically so I could be completely way off. But I had to at least post the possibility to smarter people and see what happens.

Thoughts?

Jeremy

Uhhhh, why couldn't you just use the USB-Lightning cable that comes with the phone???
Ah, I should have addressed that. That cable is already known to not work. Which is even further proof that these two cables combined probably won't work either but I wanted to ask anyway just in case.

Ah, I should have addressed that. That cable is already known to not work. Which is even further proof that these two cables combined probably won't work either but I wanted to ask anyway just in case.
Known not to work with only your HU specifically? Because my iPhone 5 works fantastic with the standard lightning cable to my 80PRS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Known not to work with only your HU specifically? Because my iPhone 5 works fantastic with the standard lightning cable to my 80PRS.
I will have to look into that. Everything that I've read from user comments on different forums say that it doesn't. I guess I should have checked that before doing anything. I've been around a long time with this stuff and should have known to test it personally before taking the net's word. Doh!

I'm glad to hear that it works with your 80PRS because I was thinking of swapping out to that unit. I love the double din touch screen and the interface of the 8400BH but I would prefer the better DACs in the 80PRS to the coolness factor of the 8400BH. I am running the Arc Audio PS8 processor so I don't need the 80PRS for the processing at all but it seems like the 80PRS and the P99RS (which I had for a little while before selling it to buy the PS8) are the only units with really good DACs. Any thoughts on that?

@jsampsell;
My iPod touch 5th gen with lightning cable works with my Pioneer MVH-P8200bt, but there is one thing I noticed...

If I plug in my iPod Video (yeah, it's old), it can only be controlled from the HU itself (cant go through the menus on the iPod). Then, if I plug in my iPod touch 5th gen, it will not work. If I used the iPod Video, I have to plug my brother's iPod touch 4th gen in, change the setting from "HU control" to 'iPod control" and then plug in my 5th gen and it will work again.

Not sure exactly why this is, but the 4th gen touch kind of acts like a key that lets me change the settings for some reason.

[quote name='sjv13']@jsampsell;
My iPod touch 5th gen with lightning cable works with my Pioneer MVH-P8200bt, but there is one thing I noticed...

If I plug in my iPod Video (yeah, it's old), it can only be controlled from the HU itself (cant go through the menus on the iPod). Then, if I plug in my iPod touch 5th gen, it will not work. If I used the iPod Video, I have to plug my brother's iPod touch 4th gen in, change the setting from "HU control" to 'iPod control" and then plug in my 5th gen and it will work again.

Not sure exactly why this is, but the 4th gen touch kind of acts like a key that lets me change the settings for some reason.[/QUOTE]

That is odd but good to know as another option for possible problem resolution. Thanks for letting me know!

I forgot to mention the reason why I started looking into all of this to begin with. I originally purchased the Apple Lightning to 30pin Adapter Cable to hook up to my Pioneer CD-IU201S iPod cable. It worked fine for a couple days but then gave me an ERROR-02-67 code. According to the user manual of the 8400BH that code is due to an outdated iPod firmware. Clearly that's not the case but more likely to be that the new firmware version number wasn't in it's database and it didn't know what to do with it. I have reconnected the phone many times and power cycled the phone and head unit to see if that would help reset whatever was not working but none of that seemed to work. Then it just decides to work randomly.

Have either of you guys that use the Lightning to USB cable directly into your head units experienced this error?

My iPhone 5 USB>Lightning works perfect with my Pioneer headunits. I dont know where people thought they cannot get audio from it. Works just like it used to with their old connectors. You cannot transfer video however.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Have either of you guys that use the Lightning to USB cable directly into your head units experienced this error?
No, mine works flawlessly just like always (I have had every iphone since the first one, and alot of pioneer headunits)

Sometimes when my ipods or whatever was cold I would catch errors

Also, the lightning cords i use in my car I got 3 of them on ebay for $4 each.

1) It worked fine for a couple days but then gave me an ERROR-02-67 code.

2)Have either of you guys that use the Lightning to USB cable directly into your head units experienced this error?
1) If it worked before, then it can still work. Since it worked before it means it IS physically possible.

2) I have gotten a few errors. I cant remember what they were, but they were like that. I just usually replugged it in or power cycled my device and it was fixed.

Well, I went to Target on my lunch break to buy a cable. Got it all swapped out and immediately got the ERROR-02-67 code. Power cycling the phone did not work either. It very well could be my head unit. Who knows. Frustrating but I did know about the possible issues prior to purchasing my iPhone 5. Oh well. I was thinking about getting an 80PRS since they are on sale at Crutchfield.

Well, I went to Target on my lunch break to buy a cable. Got it all swapped out and immediately got the ERROR-02-67 code. Power cycling the phone did not work either. It very well could be my head unit. Who knows. Frustrating but I did know about the possible issues prior to purchasing my iPhone 5. Oh well. I was thinking about getting an 80PRS since they are on sale at Crutchfield.
Just regular usb to lighting cord?

It should work fine, I would contact pioneer, because I use mine all the time on different headunits without a problem.

Maybe update the OS on your iphone

I dont understand how it worked before, and now it doesnt. Did you use a different device between the time it worked and then stopped working? Do you have another Apple product you could test out?

Just regular usb to lighting cord?
It should work fine, I would contact pioneer, because I use mine all the time on different headunits without a problem.

Maybe update the OS on your iphone
I love your sig

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried running the lightning cable directly to the 8400, without the 30 pin adapter or any other cable/device between the HU and phone? What cable was it you bought @ Target?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.