What battery terminals with Big3?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I like Streetwires battery terminals. good quality with good connectors. i've used a lot of different terminals over the years, and Streetwires are really my favorite. So much invested in the system and wiring, why go cheap on the most important connection?

cheap battery terminals are just that, cheap, they strip out, come apart if you put too much torque on them, even sheer off if you tighten them too much. i like battery terminals that come with protecting sleeves or covers.

as far as ring terminals, i like marine grade terminals, since they enclose the end of the wire and never oxidize. i go with coated, not bare copper. any marine or solar supply shop has them for cheap. plus, they aren't as soft, so they torque down more consistently.

Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries

tinlug.jpg

make sure the ring terminal hole is perfectly sized for the bolt. too big and you have an opportunity for it to work loose, causing arcing. plus, large terminals (like welding terminals) are bulky and provide a lot of exposed surface area. i avoid uncoated copper ring terminals since our cars are popular places for oxidation.

i coat all of my battery and ground terminal connections in a dielectric protecting grease, available at any autoparts store. again, avoiding exposure to air and moisture.

as always, try to get strain relief on the cabling, zip ties are great for keeping the wire secured. you don't want the ring terminal/battery terminal responsible for supporting the weight of the cable, especially when the cable wants to bend or twist.

do it right and you won't have to worry about it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.