Amp for Old School Subs?

Putnam

I bought a pair of old Kicker Solo-Baric S12a's at an auction for $2, and am wondering what the best amp to buy would be. I have no clue about the specs of the Kickers other than that they are 4 OHM S12a Solo Barics from around 1994. The car I will be installing them on is a 2000 Chevy Malibu, currently has stock speakers + stereo but I'm gonna buy a new stereo also.

What would the best amplifier to buy be?

The zr360 looks pretty pricey on ebay, any other suggestions?

I have no clue really what I'm doing, so if someone could just tell me the specs the amp needs that would be great.

Would a Kenwood KAC-7205 work?

The KAC-8105d doesn't look too bad. Thanks.

@Kang - Yeah, for sale was two Kenwood JL-884 Standing Speakers and the two speakers, nobody bid on them so the auctioneer bought them for $1. I approached him later and offered $4 for the set. Pretty good buy IMO, everything works.

DO not run those A series ported you will blow them, They are ment for small sealed boxes, .88cf after displacement for 450rms or .66 after displacement for the full 600rms power handling. Use pollyfill (aka pillow stuffing)

This is per spec from the instruction manual I have sitting right here in front of me.

The KAC-8105d doesn't look too bad. Thanks.@Kang - Yeah, for sale was two Kenwood JL-884 Standing Speakers and the two speakers, nobody bid on them so the auctioneer bought them for $1. I approached him later and offered $4 for the set. Pretty good buy IMO, everything works.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/508745-kenwood-kac-8105d.html

I actually have one of those //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

make an offer if you're interested.

I have one question, don't I need a 2-channel amp? I have two subs, and each one has it's own l/r speaker cable.
thats not left/right, it's positive negative. bass is recorded as mono lol

you wire the subs either in parallel or series to achieve a different impedance which is then wired to a mono amp (which are made for subs, they are more efficient)

about tree fiddy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif
I bought it when i was naive //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.