ONX4.80 or ONX4.125 - Wiring requirements/Alternator Concerns

Participant count
  • Participant list

TxVibe
10+ year member

Houston
I'm going to pick up an MB Quart ONX4.80 or ONX4.125. I've got an '09 Pontiac vibe that's all stock. Will be powering fronts off channels 1/2 and sub off 3/4 bridged.

I used to be able to remember how to figure out what gauge wire/cable I needed but It slips my mind. for the ONX4.80 we're talking 320W RMS and the ONX4.125 it's 500w.

Additionally, what kind of trouble, if any, will I run into off stock alternator with either. This is a budget build so I'm not willing to buy some aftermarket alternator.

Lastly, can anyone suggest some decent wiring/cables ad where to get them?

Thanks, and sorry for all the noob questions.

4 gauge be your best bet. since its small power no need for huge wire. even do your big 3 in 4gauge and you should be fine.
Man copying the above post was easy, OP like its been said 4 gauge and where to get it? Try Amp Installation Kits, HDMI Cables they have good prices and good products, i think with the small amount of power you will be fine with out doing anything, hell im running 2 amps on stock electrical and I have no problems.

Man copying the above post was easy, OP like its been said 4 gauge and where to get it? Try Amp Installation Kits, HDMI Cables they have good prices and good products, i think with the small amount of power you will be fine with out doing anything, hell im running 2 amps on stock electrical and I have no problems.
Man, I was trying to remember the name of that place, but couldn't for the life of me. Glad they are still around. thanks!! I'm going to search "Big 3" before I ask what that is.

Okay, found info on the Big 3. I don't know if that's going to be possible. My car is under warranty for another 52K miles. If I were to ever have any type of unrelated issue with the electrical system, they'd probably blame it on what I'd done. I'm hoping I'll be fine without it.

Should be fine with stock electrical. Just installed a 4.80 in my bros 2000 Accord with 4 ga. wire from KnuKonceptz running a set of Massive Audio components and a Sundown e8v2. No problems whatsoever with dimming lights or low voltage.

Sorry for the late "Thanks". I have 1 more question. I have a feeling that the ONX4.80 or REF4.80, especially at 12v, will under power slightly the sub, especially sealed. I would like to have a little headroom so pushing for the onx4.125 or Q4.150. My fronts are only rated at 80WRms. I'm concerned that 125 or 150W will be way too much. Does the headroom idea work the same here with the 2 ways? Just turn down the gain, call it a day, and be ready for my Components when $$ comes around? I'm hoping so.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.