box concept

T.I.K.
10+ year member

F*ck it, we'll do it live
Michigan
I'm planning my next few purchases. I have an 01' explorer, and I was thinking about a wrap around box, and I just wanted to get a few people's opinions.

uboat.png

nacel_side_veiw_1.png

nacel_cutaway_2.png

I had too much box area, so I built out roughly a quarter of a cubic foot with those squares. The reason for the weird design is because I need the end of the box to be longer than 33 and not farther than 35, but I'd love to hear some ideas on how to eliminate that awkward shape and still only have 2ft^3

it's tuned for 34hz

Possible to run into cancellation issues with two subs firing directly at each other?
no sir. it actually gets louder. like doing a clam shell or a wall with them facing each other...but it does wear down the subs a little bit more

no sir. it actually gets louder. like doing a clam shell or a wall with them facing each other...but it does wear down the subs a little bit more
I'd like to hear your explanation for this. I'm not saying your wrong, I don't know if it will or not, but I'd like to know the physics reasoning behind this. I would think two sound waves traveling straight at each other would cancel each other out. Now maybe if you wired the subs our of phase that would be different...

I would just do subs up(flushed) and then flush the amp. On the port side, use a flush bit to cut out the port and then round it over. Should look good and sound good as well.

Actually now that I think about it, one of the loudest setups I've ever heard was a van that 8 18's set up with 4 subs on each side facing each other...so I guess it should be fine...

I'd like to hear your explanation for this. I'm not saying your wrong, I don't know if it will or not, but I'd like to know the physics reasoning behind this. I would think two sound waves traveling straight at each other would cancel each other out. Now maybe if you wired the subs our of phase that would be different...
dont exactly know the physics behind it. i talked to man who worked for best buy(yes i know, best buy) but he used compete in competitions and dealt with car audio for many years. he told me that a clam shell is excellent for competitions. he said alot more but i cant remember all of what he said

I would just do subs up(flushed) and then flush the amp. On the port side, use a flush bit to cut out the port and then round it over. Should look good and sound good as well.
To flush them, would you add another piece of MDF with the cutout larger to fit around the woofer?

Yes sir. Just make sure you keep it all centered right or you will be off on your circle. There is a nice trick to it if you need help.
Gotcha, this is probably gonna run me three sheets of MDF D:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.